ACER Travelmate 2356XM problem

howard64 09:04 16 Oct 09

I have been asked to look at the above laptop for a friends daughter. It is running xp home sp3 with 750MB ram and norton security. The first indication of a problem was that it became very very slow. The keyboard is erratic sometimes ok for a few letters then garbled or nothing. I attached a usb keyboard which worked for a while then behaves the same as the built in one I therefore take it that it is a software problem. I have run sfc /scannow which completed with no problem. System restore shows various restore points but it will not restore to any of them. I have got into safe mode for both administrator and normal user but although it appears to be running nothing works. Clicking on the start button shows the screen but it is just a flash. Trying to get online IE just flashes on and off but does nothing. I am begining to think that a real nasty has crept on but nothing shows up. I have run superantispyware, adaware and spybot s&d all report clear. Short of a complete setback to original factory settings can anyone suggest anything else I could try? Thanks in advance.

mooly 11:45 16 Oct 09

Bite the bullet and factory restore using Acer erecovery from with Windows if it will let you.

If you can't access that, press ALT and F10 at boot up to enter recovery.

howard64 13:50 16 Oct 09

thanks mooly it is begining to look as though this will have to be done but I have to wait for permission from the young lady before doing so.

birdface 14:15 16 Oct 09

If you can try malwarebytes free version update it and run it in safe mode.

howard64 09:21 19 Oct 09

having used malwarebytes and found nothing I set the laptop back to factory condition using the Acer setup and recovery cds. All problems except the keyboard seem to have been corrected. Is it possible that the keyboard has become disconnected from the motherboard? If so is it possible to open the case to reconnect without destroying the laptop? At the moment it is working with a usb keyboard plugged in. Having built and repaired many desktop pcs I have never done anything other than increase memory in a laptop.

howard64 09:39 21 Oct 09

just wondered if anyone has any further suggestions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:27 21 Oct 09

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

mooly 07:41 22 Oct 09

It's possible the keyboard is disconnected but unlikely.
Most likely :) maybe something spilled etc...

If a factory restore still didn't correct the keyboard issue then it sounds like a hardware problem.

howard64 08:10 22 Oct 09

Thanks for that mooly and Fruit Bat

howard64 17:16 27 Oct 09

I have returned the laptop with a flexible usb keyboard and the lady seems happy with it. If she finds enough money to get a new one in the sales she will give it back to me to take apart. Thanks for the suggestions. Cheers all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017