Acer Travelmate 2000 will not boot, help!!!

Laptop would turn on for a few seconds, I could hear the fan going but it would turn off. I did reseat the memory modules, now when I try to turn it on atleast I see the acer splash screen, after a few seconds the screen goes black, but comp is still on. I have tried connecting an external monitor but it does the same thing. When I turn it on and enter F2 it will let me into setup and the screen stays on with no problems. Not sure why the screen goes blank when I dont enter F2. Please help with any suggestions, thanks again.

Pineman100 20:31 07 Nov 08

If it will stay on in the BIOS, but won't start Windows, then it sounds as though you may have a hard drive problem.

Does the drive light come on? Can you hear any activity from the drive?

Sorry for the late response, I do hear noise from the hard drive. Still getting the black screen. Is there a way to test the hard drive?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:14 10 Nov 08

How long have you left it on the black screen?

If its a restart after an update install then black screen could last a few minutes before windows continues to load.

I left it on for about 10-15 minutes, after which I did get a message stating that windows 32 file is missing or corrupt.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:07 11 Nov 08

What is the exact message?

This will recover from most of the hive system failures:

Restore XP

Boot to the command prompt and type:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press Enter and follow the on-screen prompts to restore to an earlier date/time

if will not boot to commamd prompt then:

Restore from recovery console

boot from the XP CD. Start Windows Setup and press R to access the recovery console. Select your Windows installation, then type the administrator password – press Enter if there isn't one.
Now enter the following commands:

CD C:\
CD "system volume information\_resto~1"
DIR

You'll see a list of restore point folders with names such as RP1, RP2 and so on. Pick the restore point you wish to use, using the folder date stamps to guide you. Enter the commands:

CD RPx (the restore point you chose)
CD SNAPSHOT

This takes you into the folder containing the restore point snapshot files. Copy the Registry backups so that they overwrite the existing Registry files.

COPY _Registry_machine_system C:\Windows\System32\Config\System
COPY _Registry_machine_software C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software
COPY _Registry_machine_sam C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam
COPY _Registry_machine_security C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security
COPY _Registry_user_.default C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

Type the command exit to close the Recovery Console and restart the PC.

Will doing this erase files on the hard drive? I will post back what the exact message is.

windows could not start because the following is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
please reinstall a copy of the above file.

Managed to retrieve pics and files from the hard drive using Knoppix. Would definetely recommend this CD!!! After all files were saved on a flash drive, I was able to reinstall windows. I appreciate all the help and suggestions, thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009