Acer self made recovery CD

Dipso 21:46 03 Sep 05

I have just bought a budget Acer Aspire desktop. Acer no longer provide the recovery software it seems so you are advised to make your own. On first boot you are prompted to make a System CD and a Recovery CD.

I have done this and thought I would test the CD's out. The System CD seems to contain a manual, drivers and software. I presumed the Recovery CD would work like my Medion Recovery Disc in that you boot with the CD in the drive (making sure the BIOS is set to boot from CD ROM) and the recovery procedure starts but when I did this with the Acer Recovery CD the PC just flashed up boot from CD and proceeded to load Windows.

There is nothing in the "online" manual to explain how to go about system recovery. The Recovery disc contains a file called ghostro.exe which I believe is Norton Ghost.

I will contact Acer on Monday if I can't resolve this but can anyone advise?

VoG II 22:15 03 Sep 05

Obvious (possibly silly) question is did you set it to boot from the CD drive correctly click here

Eric10 22:23 03 Sep 05

"just flashed up boot from CD". Was that the full extent of the message? Normally a message would say something more like "Press any key to boot from CD" and if you don't press a key it ignores the CD and just boots into Windows.

Strawballs 22:25 03 Sep 05

It sounds more like that you have a full installation disk rather than a recovery disc

Dipso 22:27 03 Sep 05

VoG™ - Yes, I did check the boot order in BIOS and it was already set to boot from the CD drive. When I booted up with the disc in the drive, the screen flashed up "boot from CD ROM" but then went straight to Windows.

Eric10 - No I didn't get any other message, it displayed the message for a split second and then continued to load Windows.

Dipso 22:30 03 Sep 05

When I say it loads Windows, I mean it loads the OS as it was before I tried to recover and not back to factory status.

Skills 00:01 04 Sep 05

Prehaps and it does seem rather strange but maybe it isn't a bootable cd?

MIke 09:46 04 Sep 05

Don't know if this applies to your Bios, but my Bios has entry settings for 1st Boot device, 2nd Boot device, and check for other Bootable devices. If yours is similar maybe you could set 1st device to cd, second to floppy and disable the third so that bios won't look for the hard drive ?????

Dipso 21:00 04 Sep 05

Yes, I'm beginning to wonder if it is bootable myself.

Mike - I could try that (there's no floppy but I get your drift) but what I don't know is what would happen if I did what you sugggest and it turned out not to be bootable. Would I be able to get back to Windows?

I don't want to mess things up as I don't have a recovery disc LOL!

MIke 22:37 04 Sep 05

Yes you'd just go back into Bios and reset your Boot sequence back to where it was. As you say cd you made might not be bootable. Do you have any other bootable cds you could try first? If not try creating a boot cd from here click here

Its western digitals site, they provide a utility to ease installation of their drives. You are of course only using this download to create a known bootable cd.

If you can boot from this cd then it suggests your original disc is not bootable

BRYNIT 00:44 05 Sep 05

Does it say boot from CD or press any key to boot from CD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…