Acer Recovery... what does it recover?

Simsy 14:19 27 Jan 11

Folks,

A friend has recently bought a new Acer laptop, and has been using it for a little while, (circa 3 weeks), so it is now not quite "as new"...

I now have it to "set it up".

I have run the recovery programme to burn recovery DVDs, (and the apps and drivers one as well)

I have a simple question;
If a recovery is done using these DVDs, does it recover back to "out of the factory", or to what is was like at the time I made the recovery discs?

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Simsy

james105051 14:28 27 Jan 11

Back to factory, i.e as it was at the time of purchase, perhaps investing in a back up utility such as Acronis True Image would be a better solution.

GaT7 14:34 27 Jan 11

"If a recovery is done using these DVDs...."

I think it will restore to the time you made these recovery discs.

Restoring to a 'factory default' will restore your system from the recovery partition, which stays the same from the time you purchased the laptop.

Also see click here. G

Simsy 14:57 27 Jan 11

2 opposing answers however!

Thanks for the link Crossbow... I'll print that out.

True Image is being purchased anyway... I just wanted to be able to explain to the owner what the discs I've created are?

Regards,

Simsy

bremner 15:16 27 Jan 11

If you create the disk from the Acer eRecovery Application - Start > All Programs > Acer > Acer eRecovery Management then accodring to the latest Acer Generic User Guide then this creates a disk to 'Restore to Factory" ie it does not restore to the time you made the disk.

GaT7 15:16 27 Jan 11

click here to confirm what I said.

Creating recovery discs on an ongoing basis is the same as using Acronis TI - they both create 'images' of the hard disk. So you can save the new owner's money there. G

GaT7 15:31 27 Jan 11

See click here (PDF file - can save to laptop for printing if required), which says BOTH kind of backups are possible depending on the choices you make during the process. G

onthelimit 15:34 27 Jan 11

That's interesting Crossbow - I wonder if other manufacture's programmes do the same. I thought like the others, ie back to 'factory fresh'.

Nontek 15:36 27 Jan 11

Hi, I am currently in the process of setting up a friends Acer lappie - doing more or less the same as you, but I have uninstalled all the Acer bloat including the so-called backup options. I will be installing Acronis later on so that I can do a Proper Backup! Shall also be adding more RAM.

Good luck with yours.

bremner 15:38 27 Jan 11

The latest Acer User Guide that I have downloaded states:

The eRecovery System two features.

1. Burn backup discs
From the Backup page of Acer eRecovery Management, you can burn the factory default image or back up drivers and applications.
1 Click on Start > All Programs > Acer > Acer eRecovery Management.

So it can either creates a Restore to factory or a backup of drivers and applications. It does not seem to suggest a full backup of a current setup

bremner 15:41 27 Jan 11

To took long to type and had a distraction in the middle of doing so. I responded to the 15:16 post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5