Acer Recovery disk issues

rupie 14:36 30 May 07

I need to replace a hard drive on an acer laptop, but all I have is a recovery disk and I need to know how to reinstall the copy of xp that came with the laptop when I upgrade the HDD

Pineman100 15:03 30 May 07

For a reasonable amount of money, I suggest it's well worth getting yourself a copy of Acronis True Image. You can buy version 8 for only 12 pounds at click here.

This will enable you to create an exact image of your entire system as it stands now - OS, software, applications, drivers, etc. - and restore it all to your new hard drive.

You'll need to consider what media you will copy your image on to, and this will depend on how big your system is. You could consider a pen drive, DVD or external hard drive (if you have one).

rupie 15:27 30 May 07

Would be nice to have a clean install rather than start off with an old set up

rupie 02:53 02 Jun 07

This thread is not sorted any solutions ???

Mad Mick 08:29 02 Jun 07

I don't think you can. I think the disc you have only allows you to re-install the operating system from a hidden partition on the existing hard drive. You could contact the Acer helpline. I have always found them to be very helpful.

Graham. 08:46 02 Jun 07

Is this a disk you made when you first booted the laptop? Put the disk in the drive and re-start the comp. You should get an option to re-install the OS.

wee eddie 10:47 02 Jun 07

Are sure that you need to replace it?

If the answer is yes, then you will need to buy a new HDD and access a new copy of Windows, I assume that you have your current Windows Registration Number. If you do you may be able to borrow a Copy of Windows and Activate using that Number. If not you'll need to buy a new copy of Windows.

Possibly a slightly cheaper option would be to buy an HDD from Acer with an OEM copy of Windows already loaded. I believe the Term for that is having it "Tattooed"

Graham. 20:58 02 Jun 07

Still asleep. That won't work with a new HDD.

rupie 20:59 03 Jun 07

I am in conversation with Acer at the moment. They say many things, I just need to work out what it all means

rupie 14:54 08 Jun 07

I have resolved the issue, I spent 6 days emailing acer and in the end they said that i could only use my disks to do a clean install if I paid £50 and they would create a bootable disk for me!!! This I thought was shocking . I got around this by formatting the new HDD first and then using the recovery in the usual way worked. It even installed all the extra applications. The 1 odd thing it did was that I had formatted the drive in NTFS but the recovery cd converted it to Fat32.

wee eddie 16:09 08 Jun 07

that their type if Recovery Disk, reformats the Hard drive before reinstalling Windows

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…