Acer Partition

blazingbadger 20:09 03 Jul 09

I have had this sent today
All Acer systems ship with their drives formatted with the FAT32 file system to support the use of Acer's drive imaging backup and recovery utility, eRecovery. You can convert your drives to NTFS, the newer Windows file system, if you wish by following these few steps,

Click on the Start button and select Run.
Type CMD into the Run box and press enter.
At the command prompt type: cd\ and press enter
Next type: convert C: /FS:NTFS /X to convert the main C: drive to NTFS.

You will need to enter the name of the volume (this can be found in the My Computer window). You will also need to schedule the conversion for the next time windows is started. Once the commands are complete restart your machine to convert the file system.

If I convert to NTFS even if I could understand Acers Instructions would i loose the
support the use of Acer's drive imaging backup and recovery utility, eRecovery.

johnnyrocker 20:13 03 Jul 09

have you asked them?

johnny

cream. 22:55 03 Jul 09

because this is on a hidden FAT32 partition on thye hard drive.

Right click my computer > manage > disk management to see the partition.

PS

this is an Acer machine :-)

blazingbadger 08:11 04 Jul 09

you tell me what would be the name of the volume and would it be worth converting to NTFS

blazingbadger 08:16 04 Jul 09

I should have posted the whole bit

You will need to enter the name of the volume (this can be found in the My Computer window). You will also need to schedule the conversion for the next time windows is started. Once the commands are complete restart your machine to convert the file system.

cream. 14:25 04 Jul 09

Open my computer and look at the fist of the hard drive disks, it's usually called

ACER (C:)

This is the volume name for the fat32 hard drive, yours should be the same.

cream. 14:29 04 Jul 09

only worth converting to NTFS if you use video files or files over 4Gb in size. Otherwise leave it as it could cause problems if you need to reinstall windows.

Acer made it fat32 or a reason, if you need to use files over 4Gb, that is why they made the D partition into NTFS.

blazingbadger 08:02 05 Jul 09

Thanks the old adage comes to mind If it aint broke don't fix it I will leave it well alone

mooly 08:20 05 Jul 09

I take it your running XP as it's FAT32.
I have an Acer originally with XP and got the free Vista upgrade.
ERecovery is not (or certainly was not back then) supported with NTFS.
If you change to NTFS the hidden partition remains, so I guess if you ran a full recovery that should still work, it would reformat the C drive back to FAT32. As you say the image backup program would not function however as it could not work with the NTFS file system.
I was really annoyed with Acer over this as they specifically said that ERecovery was not supported with the Vista upgrade because Vista had "similar tools" built in. A total lie, it didn't have image backup so I invested in Acronis to get round that.
As others have said I would leave well alone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac