Acer notebook problems despite reinstall

RobbyMac 20:44 11 May 07

Hi Folks,
Just hope some of you clever people can help.
A friend of mine has an Acer Aspire 1640 notebook. The machine crashed upon booting with an unresponsive mouse and keyboard, it also showed system was using 98/99% of CPU.
Tried changing drivers etc with no cure.
Eventually did a format and reinstall. During reinstall (XP pro) the machine would freeze at the keyboard options menu. Turn it off and upon restarting, the keyboard and mouse would work to select the above options. After full install and all drivers installed machine would work fine. As soon as I try to install any other software machine goes back to original problem. Boot into safe mode no probs but freezes at normal boot! System restore does not cure the problem either! Checked for virus' with updated AVG, none found!
Tried XP standard, with sp1 and sp 2 always the same problem!
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

De Marcus™ 20:51 11 May 07

Does it work in safe mode?

RobbyMac 21:05 11 May 07

Yes like a dream!
Forgot to mention that when I turn off all options in selective startup in msconfig, the horrid thing still freezes in normal boot. Thanks for your interest.

woodchip 21:19 11 May 07

This may be a Hard Drive Problem. First try taking it out of the laptop then refit, It will make better connection, Also do a disc check from My Computer double click then right click C:\tools disc checker put a tick in box to do a full check then restart computer

RobbyMac 21:26 11 May 07

Thanks for the advice will give it a go!

RobbyMac 22:00 11 May 07

Pushed hard drive in and out several times despite pins looking nice and shiney, ran disc check no problems. Still same problem DOH.
Worth a try though!
Thanks.
Any other ideas?

woodchip 22:18 11 May 07

Only thing now to check is if it as more than one stick of memory is take one out at a time and test. Also try a Software Memory tester like memtest click here

De Marcus™ 22:31 11 May 07

If everything works when in safe mode then there is no hardware fault, it's driver related.

woodchip 22:33 11 May 07

Yes I would agree

RobbyMac 17:08 12 May 07

So would I LOL.
It has got me going mad!
It does have two sticks of ram, tried each one by itself, still the same problem!
What confuses me is that when I disable everything using msconfig is that it still has the same problem. That would suggest it is a windows driver for the mobo. I suspect the PCI bus but haven't been able to find what really causes the problem!
Anyone know of any debugging software?
Thanks again for all your input.

woodchip 20:08 12 May 07

You could try downloading the latest drivers from Acer for the Laptop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…