acer notebook help - windows/system32/config/syste

DEBBRI 13:55 21 Jun 09

hi please please could someone help me i turned on my notebook last night and the following appeared on screen, windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt, windows/system 32/config/system you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows set up using the original cdrom select r at the first screen to set up repair. i have not got a cdrom and if i had there is no hole for a disc in the notepad i have. i am on a borrowed laptop at the moment, please note no fancy technical terms please as wont understand many thanks debbie

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:54 21 Jun 09

"please note no fancy technical terms"

I'm afraid that the only way to fix this error is to get technical :0(

and you will need to borrow a XP CD to do a repair if its an XP problem or is it vista on your machine?

or you can restore the notebook to factory settings, this is easier but will lose all your photos, documents, emails, favourites etc.

Quiet Life 15:58 21 Jun 09

Have you tried a system restore to a date that was OK.
Start -Programs -Accessories-System Tools -System Restore

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:10 21 Jun 09

windows will not even start with this error to be able to get to system restore.

system restore can be run from a "dos" command but need a XP or NTFS bootable CD/ floppy (in this case an external one plugged into a usb port) again its "technical" to do a restore this way.

DEBBRI 17:54 21 Jun 09

hi thankyou for your response could you tell me how to restrore back to factory settings i dont mind losing photos etc and im on windows xp thankyou

mooly 18:22 21 Jun 09

As it's an Acer it will have a recovery partition. I think you press ALT and F10 together as it boots from first pressing the power switch. This will recover it to "as new" as it came out of the box so is not to be undertaken lightly.

mooly 18:29 21 Jun 09

Thinking about it I don't think even that will work as you cannot boot to Windows.
You can still recover from the factory hidden partition (to do a full recovery) but that is accessed as a DOS command to do D2D (Disk to Disk) recovery, something I have never tried.
Would that be in the BIOS menu ? anyone ??
which you access by pressing F2 when the Acer "splash screen" is displayed straight after powering up.

Quiller. 18:33 21 Jun 09

needs the 2 recovery disks to kick start the recovery to factory settings option. :-(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:06 21 Jun 09

Acer Recovery Instructions

1. Power on the machine
2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the “Alt” key and press the “F10” key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery
3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click “Restore to Factory Default Settings”
4. Click “OK” to continue
5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).
6. Once eRecovery has run, press “OK” to reboot unit

mooly 19:18 21 Jun 09

DEBBRI... At the start you say there is "no hole for a disc".
What model is it ?

gigagiggles 07:28 22 Jun 09

might be an acer netbook?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Portable power and versatile design let down by expensive accessories and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best design TV series, films & documentaries

iPhone 7 Plus vs Sony Xperia XZ Premium comparison preview: Superb camera gives Sony the edge - on…