Acer Netbook Freeze

SonnyB 21:45 25 Jul 09

I have an Acer One Netbook which refuses to boot up properly and does not want to proceed past the initial start-up screen. I can get into the set-up but it seems fine.
Can any one shed any light on this?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:51 25 Jul 09

initial start-up screen?

further details required as to exact screen, Acer screen?
XP screen?

SonnyB 00:30 26 Jul 09

Sorry, it goes past the Acer screen then just remains blank, though the cursor is present and can be moved. I am running Linux Lite.

octal 07:53 26 Jul 09

It could be the boot loader has got corrupted somehow. The problem is they don't have a CD drive, so will have to make yourself a bootable USB drive, this site gives you the instructions to do that: click here

I think it probably uses LINPUS Linux Lite which you can download from here: click here#

Once you've done that you will be able to get the Netbook booted and be able to repair the bootloader, alternatively you can back your data up and just reinstall the OS, it might not even touch your data as usually it's in the /home partition that isn't touched.

This is all provided that there isn't anything else wrong with the Netbook.

By the way, I had to do all this because I had the lite version of Ubuntu on mine and found that too user unfriendly, so I've installed PCLinuxOS on it and it works fine.

SonnyB 09:00 26 Jul 09

Thanks, it is LinuxLite, and a recovery dvd is supplied but as you say there is no optical drive to install it, so would I need to copy it to a usb drive. If so, would I then need to re-prioritize the boot order? Which one would I select?

octal 09:46 26 Jul 09

If you want to use the USB as boot you will have to go into the BIOS to make the USB the first device when you boot. The only trouble is you won't be able to copy DVD to a USB drive as easy as that, it's already been compiled to a DVD so you would have to run it from an external DVD drive in the USB port.

SonnyB 10:08 26 Jul 09

Thanks, though ti seems odd that Acer would supply a dvd recovery disc if there is no readily available way of installing it. Should I try to copy it to a usb using instructions above?
Many thanks for all help so far.

octal 10:46 26 Jul 09

There is a ready way of installing it, that is to use an external DVD drive.

I don't think it will work copying the files to a USB, you need the ISO file which is like a compressed zip file and when you run it, it decompiles itself so you get the boot files loaded correctly, you could try. The instructions on that site I posted require the ISO file, that's why I posted the link to the Limpus site because you will be able to download the correct ISO file from there.

My Toshiba NB100 had Linux Ubuntu on it and it came with a recovery disk, but I didn't want to use Ubuntu because I'm not keen on it, so I loaded my PCLinuxOS onto a USB drive and installed it and now use that instead of Ubuntu.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:06 26 Jul 09

Because the machine has no built in floppy or CD drive the USB ports are already set as first boot device.

All yo need to do is plug in a USB DVD drive or boot-able stick.

may be this site will help you rescue your boot loader click here

octal 11:09 26 Jul 09

Mine wasn't, the HDD was first.

SonnyB 11:12 26 Jul 09

Fruit Bat, thanks, but your link does not appear to work. Do you have another please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…