Acer M5201 Fan Speed Strange Annoyance

Keith1956 21:07 PM 14 Oct 12

I have an Acer M5201 desktop which came with windows vista, I since put Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on. The problem I have is that when I start up the PC, the fan comes on very noisy at full speed and doesn't slow down at all, I seem to remember that it used to come on full speed for a few seconds and then slow down, however the strange thing is, if I put it to sleep, and then wake it up immediately (or at any time later) when it comes back on, the fan is slow and fairly quiet, and performs correctly, so it only speeds up if it gets hot and then slows down again. The PC isn't getting overly hot causing the fan to remain on full as the sleep wake cycle makes it work correctly, I have checked the CPU and it is around the 47 mark. Any suggestions please?

Chronos the 2nd 03:37 AM 15 Oct 12

Did you install motherboard drivers after you upgraded to Windows 7?

Keith1956 06:50 AM 15 Oct 12

Thanks for your reply, I installed all the updates from the ACER support site but don't think there were any specific motherboard drivers, could that be the issue? where would I get them?

Chronos the 2nd 09:30 AM 15 Oct 12

Cannot post a proper link as the various buttons above the reply box are not appearing. Have a look here. http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/desktop/aspire_m5201.html#driver and in particular the chipset drivers.

Keith1956 17:57 PM 15 Oct 12

Thanks for the advice, I downloaded the Chipset drivers, however they are only the Vista ones, but I thought they may have been updated ones to the ones I have, unfortunately it has not made any difference, thanks anyway :)

Keith1956 17:24 PM 16 Oct 12

Yes all updates downloaded, always on auto download. Device manager all good even the hidden ones, thanks again for the help :)

Keith1956 17:25 PM 17 Oct 12

The fan speed is not related to anything running at all, when the PC first boots up it runs flat out constantly, until it has had a sleep-wake cycle, then it works normally after that. I have run it for an hour or more after the initial boot up to see if it did eventually slow down, but there was no change in fan speed at all, with the fan on full and being deafened (well not quite deafened) but just by putting it to sleep and waking, all goes quiet and peace is resumed.

Keith1956 18:37 PM 17 Oct 12

No there is no CD in.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…