Acer laptopn and IE 7 browser settings

phil.smith 19:14 18 Apr 07

I have an Acer laptop which I have just downloaded IE 7. The default setting for IE 7 is uk.acer.yahoo.co.uk but I want to change it to Google. Although I change it in properties and also try to set Google "Make Google your homepage" as soon as I click back onto IE it opens with acer yahoo.

How can I stop this and get it to open Google evrytime please?

Thanks

Phil

Terry Brown 19:21 18 Apr 07

It's my guess that it is set in the REGISTRY, to be the default, however if it is changeable, I leave it up to others.
Terry

chub_tor 19:31 18 Apr 07

In IE7 have you tried Toola, Internet Options, General, Home page? If you are already browsed to Google you can use the Use Current button.

Quiet Life 13:41 19 Apr 07

The Yahoo tool bar featured in add remove programs and I removed it there.

chub_tor 08:36 20 Apr 07

Removing the Yahoo Tool Bar will have no effect on your Home Page. To set the Home Page in IE7 follow the instructions as listed in my earlier post, I suggest that you first go to Google.com then click on Tools, INternet Options, General and Use Current. That will set your Home Page to Google.

phil.smith 14:27 23 Apr 07

Have tried all the above but still it opens as Yahoo through Acer - it looks as though it is supplied through the software that Acer had preinstalled hence the address is uk.acer.yahoo.co.uk.

Any other thoughts please?

anskyber 14:38 23 Apr 07

Very often the security programs have a setting which prevents a home page being changed. Some others like Spybot also have this function.

phil.smith 14:42 23 Apr 07

It was working fine until I installed some recent Microsoft updates and then reverted to the Yahoo page.

chub_tor 15:49 23 Apr 07

Do you have the SUPERAntispyware programme installed? This has the ability to prevent your home page being changed. If you do then go into the Superantispyware Control Centre and navigate to the Hi-Jack protection page where you can change your home page.

phil.smith 16:28 23 Apr 07

I did have it installed but thought that I had uninstalled it. How can I check please?

chub_tor 17:08 23 Apr 07

Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programmes and see if is installed there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac