ACER LAPTOP Start up problem

collinsc 21:30 13 Nov 08

Help!
My acer laptop has just malfunctioned for no reason - had no problems with it prior.
it will start up and you can see the icons. but the panel (clock, calendare etc) on the right doesnt load and you can move the pointer around but when you DClick on an icon nothing happens.

i can open in safe mode...

any suggestions on how i can fix? or shall i wait and ring support tomorrow? (under 3yr warranty still).

thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:02 13 Nov 08

In safe mode try a systm restore to a time before the problem began

or

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

collinsc 12:33 14 Nov 08

thanks-
ive rang acer - they say it sounsd like windows. they advise a "Disk2Disk" restore i.e. ALT+F10.
Can anyone advise if this sounds right?
will i then need to back up all of my files?

i was going to do the system restore - but im unsure as to whether that protects all my files?
thanks

chub_tor 13:03 14 Nov 08

A disk2disk restore using Alt+F10 will take your machine back to the factory state when you first got it. You will lose all your data and newly installed programmes unless you back up first.

System Restore will take your machine back to an earlier date when it was hopefully working OK, your data will not be affected but you will lose any programmes that you have installed in the time before the System Restore date and now.

Running sfc /scannow will not affect any of your data or your programmes, it will inspect all your Windows system files and repair them.

chub_tor 13:05 14 Nov 08

I meant to say that with System Restore the programmes that you lose are those installed since AFTER the Restore date and now.

collinsc 15:42 14 Nov 08

ok thanks for the info.
how do initiate the system restore or sfc/scannow when i am unable to click on anything.
do i open the laptop in safe mode then do th sfc/scannow?

how can i initiate the system restore?

thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:16 14 Nov 08

do i open the laptop in safe mode then do th sfc/scannow?

Yes but note the space

sfc /scannow

how can i initiate the system restore?

In safe mode start - Programs - accessoories - system tools -system restore

collinsc 16:20 14 Nov 08

thanks fruit bat - im going to grit teeth and give it a go...
bit nervous its going to go wrong!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…