acer laptop no sound

Kingfisher 19:11 18 Apr 09

I have just been tidying up my friends acer laptop after a repair to power connector on motherboard. have used ccleaner and glary utilities, but i have noticed there is no sound at all either at start up or playing cd's its a vista home basic pc, it has a digital output device (spdif) and is showing as working, dont no if sound was working before I played with it and cant contact them, have checked all mute buttons and all are ok, am I missing something
many thanks

mooly 19:16 18 Apr 09

Volume turned up ? Yes course it is. Worth looking in device manager at the "sound devices" and make sure nothing has yellow triangle against it.

Kingfisher 19:26 18 Apr 09

all ok in device manager, showing it as working normally

mooly 19:42 18 Apr 09

Erm... you do really need to check with the owner if it was OK.
Being an Acer you should be able to reinstall the whole operating system (so it's all as it was on day one) but you'd lose any personal stuff of course and anything that had been put on since.
If it was working before maybe try a system restore back to a known good date. Again being an Acer there may be the option in ERecovery to reload any drivers so might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling.
Type "Acer" into the search or run box and a PDF copy of the user manual should hopefully come up. That gives the instructions for using the recovery partition.

cheap 19:52 18 Apr 09

If device drivers dont work it may be time to take the plunge and re-open laptop to see if you connected the speakers back to the motherboard. :(

mooly 19:56 18 Apr 09

Also worth running a file system check,
click start orb
click computer
Right click "Acer C"
Select properties
Click tools
Select "Check the volume for errors", put a tick in both boxes, close any applications and do a restart. Takes around 45 to 60 minutes.

If that's OK at a later time run from a command prompt
sfc /SCANNOW note the spaces
to check for any incorrect Windows files.

mooly 19:57 18 Apr 09

Thats good thinking cheap.

Kingfisher 19:58 18 Apr 09

Thanks chaps will try your suggestions tomorrow and report back

woodchip 20:53 18 Apr 09

Right Click Sound Speaker if there is one in System Tray near Clock the Properties Check sound to Speakers is not Muted

Kingfisher 11:25 19 Apr 09

I found that the speakers had never been configured correctly, now working ok, thank you all for your advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5