Acer laptop keeps shutting down

rooney1111 12:06 27 Jul 11

Hi I have an Acer TravelMate 7520 which keeps shutting down a few seconds after startup. If I keep trying it will eventually start up and then seems to be OK. I have just completely re-installed the OS (Vista Business) so it's not virus or software related. Acer tech support say (very helpfully) 'it may be a hardware problem! but give no indication as to which bit of hardware is most likely. Any help much appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:22 27 Jul 11

Check the memory

MemTest - http://www.memtest86.com/ Tutorial: How to use Memtest - http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

rooney1111 13:15 27 Jul 11

Will do, will get back with the result. Thanks!

rooney1111 10:28 04 Aug 11

Hi there Fruit Bat, finally got round to carrying out the memtest but the laptop kept shutting down after 30-40 seconds running which led me to suspect the memory. Upon opening the laptop I noticed that the fan case for the main processor cooling was damaged and prevented the fan from running - a little judicious panel beating freed the fan and it now seems to be running normally. So, thanks very much for your solution even if it was not the expected route!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:34 04 Aug 11

Thanks for the feedback, glad your sorted.

kristain 10:09 05 Aug 11

Hi,

When the files in your system are corrupted, your laptop would reboot automatically. When the files which are required to run the Operating System like fonts under Windows FONTS directory are been smashed then your system’s Operating System will force your HP Laptops to restart continuously. Thus in such a situation you would have to change the name FONTS in the Windows directory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…