Acer laptop has stopped playing cd and dvd's

dobber 1 16:38 27 Mar 08

I purchased an Acer Aspire 5610 laptop at the end of 2006. The OS was XP, and was Vista ready via a Windows express update DVD and an Acer upgrade DVD, which I installed last May when the discs arrived. Initially everything was fine until a few months ago, when I could not play any discs. Clicking "computer" showed drives C, D and E. However drive E was obscured by a red circle with a red diagonal line (like a no smoking sign). I contacted Acer and tried a number of options, including trying to revert back to factory settings and trying again, no joy. Finally, I was informed by Acer that it was not their responsibility once I'd installed Vista, it was Microsoft's. Their impression was that Windows was preventing drive E from functioning correctly.
Any idea's?

skidzy 16:41 27 Mar 08

Uninstall the drive from Device Manager and reboot,windows will install the generic drivers.

As you have tried factory settings,this leads me to think its faulty or a loose connection.

Also look in device manager and update the driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…