Acer laptop

Sheps 22:13 12 Oct 08

Can some one out there help me on this this here problem, my son has an Acer Aspire 5310 Laptop, and it is soooooo slow, would it help if i removed all the acer empowering technology and there are loads of Acer programs on there, he dont use any of them, is it safe to remove them !!!! we have removed all other programms that he dont use, it is 512mb 1.6ghz 80gb HDD, and he hardly has anything on it, so why is it so slowwwwwwwwwwwww ?? many thanks in advance Sheps

woodchip 22:20 12 Oct 08

Check what programs are starting at boot. go to start\run type MSCONFIG press enter then go to Startup Tab all things that start have a tick in the box. first look click here

List hear but it may not be compressive click here

birdface 22:24 12 Oct 08

Try a speed test.click here just to make sure he is getting the proper download speed from his ISP.Could be Firewall related .What Firewall and anti-Virus does he have.And have you ran them recently.Maybe try C Cleaner to get rid of all the junk.

woodchip 22:26 12 Oct 08

Starting and Running, Think you are like me ready for bed

Sheps 22:30 12 Oct 08

Thank you Buteman, well i'm just letting windows install a vista service pack 1, which seems to be taking forever, but i was warned it could take up to an hour. The only firewall that is on there is Windows vista one !!! I have put AVG on there for him, as the norton trial that came with it expired, but it took up far too much room, so we uninstalled that ages ago, avg works good, i've got CCleaner on my pc and i swear by it, so perhaps i should put that on his lappy, Tomorrow i will check out the speed test and check to see if the firewall is preventing him go fast, many thanks for all your help From Sheps

woodchip 22:32 12 Oct 08

Did you first remove Norton Via Add Remove then use Norton Removal too? Plus Free Avast is better and Faster

mocha 22:34 12 Oct 08

Hi Sheps,

Let the forum know what your operating system is, this can help to diagnose your problem.

birdface 22:40 12 Oct 08

As with woodchip did you use the Norton removal Tool when removing it.If not i would use it now. click here

Sheps 22:41 12 Oct 08

Hi again, well my sons laptop is on Windows Vista,
and it is a Acer Aspire 5310 , it is an intel celeron m processor 520,(1.6ghz 533 Mhz 1MB L2 cache)512 mb ddr2 80gb hdd , hope that helps you. regards Sheps

mocha 22:45 12 Oct 08

Hi Sheps,

by the time I sent last message you've already posted the info.

512mb of RAM running Vista is on the low side, Vista will run comfortably with 2GB of RAM.

Mocha

mocha 22:53 12 Oct 08

Hi Sheps,

Go here for Microsoft info on Vista click here

Mocha.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac