Acer HomePlug USB network installation

xquest 00:25 28 Sep 05

I’ve just got 2 Acer HomePlug USB adapters, which use the mains to link two computers. I’m trying to link a desktop (on XP Pro, which is connected to an ADSL modem) to a nearby laptop (on XP Home). If I can get it working successfully I shall then use them on my daughter’s network – currently a wireless set-up which gives continual problems.
The HomePlug instruction ‘manual’ is sketchy to say the least. The two computers can ‘see’ each other, I think, but the network icons in the taskbar have yellow triangles with exclamation marks – status is ‘limited or no connectivity… the network did not assign a network address’. The Windows wizard is then unable to repair the IP address when I click on ‘repair’.
I really need a step-by step guide to take me through setting up the network. The Acer site seems not to offer any manuals for the HomePlug unit, concentrating on their computers. How do I know when the network is working ? Do I see anything extra in ‘My Computer’ ? Can anyone help or direct me to a fount of all knowledge?

mgmcc 11:54 28 Sep 05

<<< the network icons in the taskbar have yellow triangles with exclamation marks – status is ‘limited or no connectivity… the network did not assign a network address’. >>>

This suggests that the adapters are set to get their IP addresses automatically, but have been unable to find a DHCP server from which to get them. Windows will almost certainly have allocated a default address in the 169.254.x.x range which will result in the Limited or No Connectivity error.

If it is your intention to have "shared" internet access with this arrangement, you need to enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual Internet connection (the "modem" connection) in the Network Connections folder. Right click the entry, select Properties, then the Advanced tab and tick the box "Allow other network users...etc".

This will automatically configure your Local Area Connection (the Homeplug USB adapter) with the fixed IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0

NOTE: If the PC already has an existing Local Area Connection (i.e there was already a network adapter installed), this should be disabled by right clicking and selecting Disable, before setting up Internet Connection Sharing. Otherwise, the 192.168.0.1 address could be allocated to the wrong connection.

The "Client" PC's Local Area Connection should remain set to get its IP address automatically, which it will now do by DHCP from the Host PC.

If you are NOT sharing an Internet connection and ICS isn't enabled on the Internet Connection, you need to allocate the IP addreeses for the two adapters manually. You can use 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 with the SAME subnet mask address in both of 255.255.255.0

mgmcc 12:05 28 Sep 05

<<<How do I know when the network is working ? Do I see anything extra in ‘My Computer’?>>>

Don't open "My Computer", instead open "My Network Places" - there is a subtle difference in the functionality. If you display the folders pane on the left and expand the tree:

My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > {your_workgroup_name}

the networked PCs should be shown in the right pane.

xquest 15:26 28 Sep 05

Many thanks, mgmcc, I'll follow this up in the next day or so. I'll post a result when I've tried it. Regards, xquest

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…