//some 3rd party need geo

Acer Centrino Travelmate

keith mac 19:03 11 Mar 04

I will eventually need the portability and long battery life of my Centrino Acer.

At present, though, it's used for long periods at home. It's got a Lithium Ion battery pack and there's no handbook guidance given as to whether it's safe to run on AC mains power continually - I err on the side of caution and charge the battery when necessary.

But there's a finite number of times that the battery will accept this before needing replacement - and it won't be cheap!

Anyone have a similar laptop situation? What do you do or what does the instruction book tell you?

Any advice / comments would be welcome.

Diodorus Siculus 20:55 11 Mar 04

If I am using my laptop for a few days at a time plugged into the mains, I remove the battery pack.

Otherwise I run the battery down completely and then charge up again when I need to run it on battery.

keith mac 21:32 11 Mar 04

Diodorus

What you do is what I too had considered prudent - any problems this way?

Diodorus Siculus 22:17 11 Mar 04

keith mac - I've not had any problems doing it that way. A toshiba I bought about 5 years ago has just had the battery give up the ghost but as it is only used plugged in, that is not a problem. 5 years seems a reasonable lifespan to my mind for a laptop battery.

I will report back in 5 years time on my new laptop's battery condition!

keith mac 07:28 12 Mar 04

Thanks DS - I guess 5 years isn't too bad a battery life. I'll keep my fingers crossed for mine.

Thanks again for your observations.

Keith

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…