Acer Aspire T671 Desktop wont go Past Startup scrn

coin11587 04:48 14 Apr 09

hey there everyone,
your help would be greatly appreciated, thanking in advance.

here is my problem:
i have an acer aspire t671 desktop computer running windows vista..i bought it from a friend and when he had it, it ran fine and worked 100%. however when i brough it home, i sat it up and tried to start it, but it is stuck on the startup screen where it has ACER logo and Del: Enter Setup and F12: Boot Menu.

i have restarted many times and still not fix. The difference from when it was setup and working and setup and not working was a car drive of about an hour. What the heck could be the problem.
i have read some other discussions and tried taking out the ram and doing that sort of thing, switching the mouse and keyboard, etc..but still NOT WORKING!

any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks again!

birdface 08:36 14 Apr 09

Maybe try in safe mode.[Keep tapping F8 as the computer starts]And click on last good configuration.See if that helps.

xania 10:27 14 Apr 09

Laptops are meant to be moved around, so I doubt anything in the move would have cuased problems. However, did you get a restore DVD or the original Windows Vista DVD. Might be worth running this a get a brand new system running.

HauxtonPhil 10:31 14 Apr 09

As this is a desktop machine, you should be able to get inside it and check that none of the connections have come off. My guess would be that the hard drive power or data bus has come adrift.

coin11587 12:18 14 Apr 09

xania: as the post says : not a laptop and don't have either restore or system disc.

HauxtonPhil: i got inside and made sure the connections are all connected, the hard drive power cable and data cord are both hooked up fine, i even unhooked and reconnected them to make sure.

Any other ideas????

coin11587 12:21 14 Apr 09

buteman: tried tapping F8 to enter safe mode so i could start with the last known good configuration, but when i turn the computer on the keyboard lights flash, and then they go out and after that the keyboard is unresponsive?

Any other ideaS?

coin11587 12:21 14 Apr 09

buteman: tried tapping F8 to enter safe mode so i could start with the last known good configuration, but when i turn the computer on the keyboard lights flash, and then they go out and after that the keyboard is unresponsive?

Any other ideaS?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:25 14 Apr 09

OK so it won't complete the POST

1. remove and refit memory
2. remove and refit all PCi cards
3. remove and refit main power cables to the motherboard.
4. remove and refit cables to hard drives and DVD drives
5. retry to boot

amonra 16:29 14 Apr 09

One minor detail which foxed me on one of my Acers, Have you tried a different mouse ? Mine wouldn't work except with a PS3 mouse. I've tried to get it to work with a USB mouse, but no go, it insists on a PS3.

skidzy 21:58 14 Apr 09
  woodchip 22:04 14 Apr 09

Try with a PS/2 keyboard you are using a USB one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…