Acer Aspire T120E Athlon 3200+ upgrade

Tinker2 19:38 PM 15 Mar 13

I have just bought an Athlon 3200+ cpu to upgrade my PC, how do I change the settings to get the most out of it? Also, can I over-clock it and if so how?

retep888™ 01:30 AM 16 Mar 13

<< I have just bought an Athlon 3200+ cpu to upgrade my PC >> You understand your 3200+ is a socket A & very old indeed.

<< how do I change the settings to get the most out of it? >> Doesn't matter how you tweak the settings ,it'll still be too slow for today's computing standard.

<< Also, can I over-clock it and if so how? >> I doubt the Acer bios will let you do it.

Tinker2 09:12 AM 16 Mar 13

Yeah I know its an old chip, its going into an old PC. The Acer Aspire T120E sports a G74M motherboard, and the Athlon 3200+ is the best cpu this board will support. Perhaps I wasnt clear in my initial post, Im upgrading from a Sempron to an Athlon, will I find dip or pin switches or is it altered in the bios? Please feel free to give as much detail as you can. Thanks

retep888™ 11:50 AM 16 Mar 13

<<Im upgrading from a Sempron to an Athlon, will I find dip or pin switches or is it altered in the bios?>>

No, you don't need to do anything in the bios, it'll be recognised. Make sure you clean the old thermal paste & reapply it on the heatsink/fan.

I'm sure you'll see an instant performance boost from the Athlon chip compare to the Sempron , done that before but don't expect miracles. :)

P.S. Don't forget you might have to upgrade the rams to achieve the full performance boost but please work out the price first to see if it really worths.

Tinker2 13:02 PM 17 Mar 13

Thanks. Regarding the memory, I also have 2x 1gb memory to install at the same time (again the most this mobo will support). Whilst not expecting miracles I am hoping for a marked improvement.

Thanks again for the help.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED