Acer Aspire AST180-EA350M desktop black screen on boot up

LaurieW 03:25 10 Aug 11

I have an Acer Aspire AST180-EA350M desktop. I have been unable to get the computer to boot up, it comes to a screen that says Del: Setup F12 or something like that. I read other threads about it but nothing works. It just goes into a black screen even if I try to start in safe mode. Is this fixable? thanks for any help I can get.

birdface 08:09 10 Aug 11

Make sure it is starting from CD in the Bios in case that has been changed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:39 10 Aug 11

Some things to try

A)

1. Turn off the computer,
  2. Take the battery out
  3. Take out the power supply
  4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
  5. Reconnect power supply
  6. Then the battery.

B)

1. Disconnect all usb devices
  2. Make sure no disks in drive
  3. Reboot
  Karakorum 17:33 10 Aug 11

You may need a Windows Recovery Disk which is only normally available if you have a full Microsoft Windows Disk. If you're like most people you probably only have the OEM Installation disk from Dell or whoever your computer manufacturer is. You can however make your very own home-made Recovery disk for Vista or Win7. It does work as I've used it myself on an unbootable computer to enable me to a) Get into System Restore and go back to a pre-problem time or b) Get the disk to initiate a Windows repair itself.

Have a look at this link for Vista, but if you're on Win7 there are links to a relevant page included.

Don't think it's possible for XP though, sorry.

Karakorum 17:34 10 Aug 11
  LaurieW 21:50 10 Aug 11

I have XP and there is a recovery back up disk but the screen goes black so don't know if the recovery disk will show up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced