Acer aspire 7720 visible screen width

noppit 10:02 27 Dec 08

For no apparent reason when I started up my Acer,I found the screen width narrowed, showing a black margin of an inch on each side. In "display options" I was able to select "full screen" but the image was stretched and distorted. Football shape became rugby ball shape. I could restore "aspect ratio" but that produced an un-distorted picture (fine) but narrowed as though I was viewing on a 15" screen, not the 17" I have. Acer's only suggestion involves download of all my programs and data and a recovery ("The Disk2Disk recovery feature allows you to recover the system without recovery CDs. This will return your system to factory settings and will delete everything stored on the machine")
Can anyone help with a fix that does not involve back up and restore (which are notoriously dodgy)

MAT ALAN 12:24 27 Dec 08

could try updating VGA chipset drivers...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…