Acer Aspire 5630 will not boot.

Mike_R 21:09 21 Sep 10

When I switch on the machine I get the Acer logo folowed by a screen giving me the choice of loading windows XP or a windows recovery console. If I am quick and press the down arrow to the recovery console. the screen stays alive. If not, the screen goes blank and the Acer appears to freeze. I've tried presing the windows recovery console but it comes up with a display that I do not understand.
Pressing F8 and starting in safe mode or going back to a good configuration do not work.
I have 7 CD ROMS recovery discs written when the Acer was first bought. If I alter the boot sequence to CDROM and feed in these CDROMS, would it reload the OS from scratch? I accept that any current contents would be lost.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:15 21 Sep 10

Looks like a corrupted driver.

Try tapping F8 or F5 when its first switched on and select last known good configuration from the menu.

if that doesn't work try selecting safe mode when it gets to safe mode do a system restore to a time before the problem started.

Leave using the recovery disks fo a last resort as you will lose all your data and programs , he machine will be reset to tha day you made the disks.

rawprawn 21:23 21 Sep 10

The simple answer is yes.However Laptops usually have a Recovery Partition which can be accessed by pressing a specified code such as F11 which would take you back to factory settings, from a quick look round it looks like ALT+F10
Have you looked at your manual?

Mike_R 23:31 21 Sep 10

Tried all above but with no luck so will reload the recovery disks tomorrow. I could ask the grandchildren what happened to the manual but don't hold out much hope.

Mike_R 17:45 22 Sep 10

Thanks everyone. I reloaded sucessfully from the recovery discs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced