ACER Aspire 5613AWLMi Backup

collinsc 13:18 09 Aug 09

Hi

I purchased my Acer laptop about 2yrs ago and made a back up disk.Ive done nothing since - other than regularly back up of files to an external HD. Do i need to set up a restore point or create a back up disc, or use an inbuilt recovery facility or anything!?

thanks kindly

johndrew 13:42 09 Aug 09

I presume the disk made 2 years ago was made from the recovery partition of the laptop. If this is so the disk you made will only return the PC to the condition it was in when you bought it.

What have you made your `backups` with? To make good backups you need to use software like Acronis True Image on a regular (monthly?) basis. They should also be kept on a separate (external) drive or DVD/CD set as if your drive fails you will not be able to access them. XP has its own backup utility but IMHO it doesn`t compare with the commercial offerings.

The laptop will create Restore points when it updates from MS and with some other software. These points are handy in the event an update or some installed software plays havoc but not as a recovery facility.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…