Acer Aspire 5551 Wireless Network Adapter Failing

amyo 11:18 06 Aug 12

Hi there,

I have an Acer Aspire 5551 with an AMD Athlon II processor (full specs here: http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/AcerAspire5551Windows7laptopLX.PTQ02.027/version.asp). As of recently my wireless internet keeps failing due to a network adapter issue. Until the last week I have been accessing the internet perfectly fine but now every time I go on the internet the network adapter fails, will not show any other connections and the only way I can access the internet is through an Ethernet cable. I did the usual stuff by 'disabling' the network adapter then 'enabling' and 'updating'... nothing is working. I have had this issue once before, the common denominator is a Virgin Media Hub box, last time I needed to change the hub settings and this worked fine last time. I have only had this laptop for 2 years, I keep it in good order so this issue is entirely baffling to me. I am not sure whether the problem is my laptop or the hub box so any help/advise anyone can give to me to sort this pesky network adapter out would be amazing!

Thanks Amy

onthelimit1 11:40 06 Aug 12

Are you able to try with another Internet connection at, say, a friends house? Have you tried updating the driver by actually going to the manufacturer's web site? If all else fails, I'd buy a USB adaptor - I've found these to be fantastic value for money.

amyo 11:53 06 Aug 12

I have just gone onto Virgin Media settings and changed the 'channel' the hub is operating at, fingers crossed it seems to be working ok now... And yes I have downloaded the driver update from Acer already. Sorry I am not very technically savvy, what is a USB adapter and what exactly do they do?

Thanks for replying so quickly as well!

onthelimit1 13:16 06 Aug 12

If the wireless adaptor on a laptop packs up, the USB adaptor as shown in my link is a cheap and easy way to regain internet connection.

amyo 13:09 07 Aug 12

So I think that the network adapter on my laptop has indeed packed up. Will The wireless network adapter you have shown above work with Windows 7 64 bit and with my Virgin media Super hub?

onthelimit1 18:27 07 Aug 12

Yes, they work with all operating systems ond internet routers

Woolwell 18:38 07 Aug 12

Yesterday you stated it was working after changing channels. Has it now packed up again?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017