Acer Aspire 5100 laptop ...

Heefie 12:50 12 May 08

... does anybody know how to physically get the hard drive out ?!?!?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:08 12 May 08

service manual

click here

Heefie 13:40 12 May 08

Can't find anything relevant to my PC on there, unfortunately, except for some place that wants to sell me the manual for $25 !!!

Anybody else ?

Eric10 14:16 12 May 08

I have an Acer Aspire 5315 but I'm sure it will be very similar to the 5100.

1. Remove the power cord, and battery and turn the notebook upside down.
2. Find the hard drive bay. It will be close to the front of the system and rectangular in shape.
3. Remove the screws, likely to be 2 screws.
4. On removing the plastic lid you will see a metallic box with extra space at the end away from the connector.
5. There will be a plastic strip, maybe on top of it or at the end with the space.
6. There may be 1 or 2 more screws but in my case the screws holding the cover also passed through the hard drive frame. If there are screws then undo them.
7. Pull the plastic strip toward the side of the computer that has free space and the whole caddy should slide out. If it is difficult to move, then ease it with gentle pressure in that direction.
8. Take the 4 screws out of the side of the caddy and the hard drive will just slid out of it.
9. Put the new hard drive into the caddy the same way as the old one was and reverse the above steps to fit into the notebook.

If this isn't exact then it should at least be near enough for you to adapt it to your own situation.

Heefie 14:26 12 May 08

... it's out !!!

Yes, the plastic strip that you mention is for pulling it out, as it disappeared into the case it looked like it was an attached cable so I didn't use it ... eventually got it out by using a teatowel for grip and sheer brute force !!!

Great design ... NOT !!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now