acer aspire 5040 / no recovery disks /

jt3009 21:50 16 Mar 08

i have an old acer aspire 5040 that unfortunately over time ive lost the recovery disk for.i have recently had a crash and system now is dead
keep getting message :

invalid boot.ini
booting from c:\windows

but nothing happens
can someone please help me out here ,,point me in direction i can get files from or a new windows recovery disk

thank in advance

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:59 16 Mar 08

on your good PC

It takes just one floppy disc,

First format a Floppy disc

Run type
Format A: /u

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

you can now try starting your defetive computer with the floppy disc

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:04 16 Mar 08

When you get the laptop booted open a command prompt.

At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER. This command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows NT installations, and then displays the results. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to add the Windows installations to the Boot.ini file. For example, follow these steps to add a Windows XP installation to the Boot.ini file:
a. When you receive a message that is similar to the following message, press Y:
Total Identified Windows Installs: 1

[1] C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
b. You receive a message that is similar to the following message:
Enter Load Identifier
This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER. This is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
c. You receive a message that is similar to the following:
Enter OS Load options
When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

Note The instructions that appear on your screen may be different, depending on the configuration of your computer.

jt3009 06:34 17 Mar 08

hi and thanks for your replies fellas but i still have problems

1 i dont have floppy drive.could i use a cd ?

2 not getting a command propmpt just goes straight to message of invalid boot.ini

thanks again for your time

wattd02s 10:15 25 Jun 08

Hi, I don't know if you have given up or are still having problems, but try the following.

During post press Alt&F10 together, this forces the laptop to self restore from a hidden partion, as long as you have not messed with the drive that is.

Post happens just after you have started the system, and if you find that this does not work, go into the bios and make sure that D2D is enabled, and try again.

This is what worked for me with the same problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…