Acer Aspire 1690 Upgrade from XP to Windows 7 - help !

AcerRacer5 16:29 18 Apr 15

Hi,

I have an older ACER ASPIRE 1690 running on XP that i would like to upgrade to Windows 7 operating system via a CLEAN INSTALL.Although i have another new machine that works fine i would really like to keep using my older Acer Aspire 1690 as it has been a great laptop for me since i bought it new many years ago.

I have read that i may experience issues with my graphics,wireless,and audio if i attempt an upgrade from XP to Windows 7 so i would like advice on what i should do and what NEW DRIVERS i will need and where to get them ? Has anyone out there actually done this upgrade that can help ?

The Spec of the machine is as follows :

ACER ASPIRE 1690

Processor - Intel Pentium M 1.60Ghz

Ram - 2 GB

HDD - 60 GB

Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family

Running Windows XP Home Sp3

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:57 18 Apr 15

Only install the 32bit version of windows 7 your drivers are here

rdave13 16:59 18 Apr 15

First thing I would do is to run the Upgrade Avisor to see what it suggests.

If you want to carry on then I would create an image of the drive to an external drive. Then if it goes belly up you can restore the image and still have a working machine.

I would then download the latest XP drivers for your machine and save them to a CD. This is a safe site as I've used them before.

If no drivers available for 7 then try installing the drivers in compatibility mode as Admin, Information here.

Make sure you create a backup image before having a go at upgrading.

Good luck.

rdave13 17:02 18 Apr 15

*Fruit Bat /\0/* , good find.

AcerRacer5 18:08 18 Apr 15

Hello rdave and fruitbat,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply ! i was actually searching around earlier and came across those links you provided which were partly helpful. The problem seems to be that Intel has not officially released a windows 7 driver for this chipset but having read some other forum posts there does seem to be drivers around for many branded laptops that use that chipset.

I am not so concearned about the audio and wireless drivers as i have options i can use to get those working - But the graphics driver is the one i want to be careful with and make sure i get the right one !

As you rightly point out before i attempt anything i will make sure i back up everything and be able to "get back" should i need to if it goes belly up etc.

To give you some background on why i want to do this,as you know the support for XP has now ended and i have long since bought another machine that runs all the latest apps and tech.However as i mentioned before i still have an ACER ASPIRE 1690 that i have had from new that has been a wonderful machine for me and has NEVER given me any problems whatsoever and i still love the laptop and want to continue using as an additional and back up machine and use it safely with microsoft support.

At this moment in time i have not done anything with the machine yet but am planning what to do,for example i have been able to source a genuine full windows 7 disc with serial number and i have been backing up all the data i think i will need from its current OS ( XP HOME SP3 ) and all my personal data and programs.I know whenever an upgrade of this nature is attempted there is a risk and i just want to be as fully clued up and safe as possible when i actually attempt the install of windows 7.

I know there will be folks out there that will say just throw it in the bin and move on - however this old machine is still far quicker and smoother and more reliable than any other laptop i have ever owned and i am loathed to part with it !

Am i right in thinking that if i encounter an issue with the graphics and chipset while installing windows 7 that it will either stop the install OR it will boot into SAFE MODE after the install ? which then gives me a chance to try different drivers etc.

It drives me mad that big manufacturers end support for some of their best products so readily - leading to my current dilemma !

If you guys or anyone else reading this knows someone that has been successful in getting a machine like this to run windows 7 properly i would really be thankful for any detailed advice ( in particular on the graphics - Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family ) and what driver is likely to work in windows 7.

David

onthelimit1 08:49 19 Apr 15

If I get stuck with drivers after an install, I find the free Slimdrivers helpful. It scans for missing drivers then points (usually) to the manufacturers website. It's given me duff gen a few times, but generally works OK.

AcerRacer5 11:55 19 Apr 15

Onthelimit1,many thanks for the reply - i will keep in mind your suggestion as another potential avenue to try.The problem i have is that neither Acer or Intel have released a driver for the Acer Aspire 1690 to run Windows 7.

The chipset on this model is Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family,as i said in previous post i have had this machine from new and it has been a super laptop for me so i would love to be able to get Windows 7 32bit running on it.

I have run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor and it does say that this chipset is no good for use with Windows 7,however i have read on other forums that alot of folks that have this chipset on other Acer models and other brands like Toshiba and Dell have been able to get working un-official drivers for Windows 7.

Surely there is a driver out there that will work on the Acer Aspire 1690 ?

bumpkin 12:18 19 Apr 15

This any help click here

AcerRacer5 13:06 19 Apr 15

bumpkin,thanks very much for the link ! i will check it out abit later and let you know if any good.

AcerRacer5 21:06 20 Apr 15

bumpkin,just to let you know the link you provided may be of help ! it seems it contains a driver for Vista (Samsung OEM) that is supposed to work with windows 7.So many thanks again,i will assemble a flashdrive with all the possible and available drivers i have found so far and when i think im ready i will attempt the dreaded move to windows 7 :-)

I was hoping someone out there would know for sure what exact drivers i would need ( having done the same machine upgrade ) but i am slowly building up some knowledge on this subject.Needless to say if i do have success with this upgrade i will post full details to aid others in the same boat.

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017