Acer Aspire 1310 formatted FAT32, Why??

myfoot 19:28 21 Feb 06

My latop running XP was when bought and now after reinstall continues to use the FAT32 file system. Can anlybody explain to me why Acer use this rather than the normal file sstem for XP which is NTFS. At present I'm having a lot of problems, loosing settings and freezing on disconnect (from dial-up) and wondering if this is not down to file corruption and if converting to NTFS might not be better. If possible?

VoG II 19:31 21 Feb 06

I don't know whether being FAT32 would cause problems but click here for how to convert.

myfoot 19:42 21 Feb 06

I am not ready to convert to NTFS right now but I appreciate the link. You've no idea why Acer would use FAT32 rather than NTFS. Acer no longer have helpline on this island. At times like this I wish I'd bought a Dell.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:38 21 Feb 06

Several computer companies have put a backup copy of the system on another (sometimes hidden) partition.

To reset to factory conditoins pressing a KEY on boot up (often F11) runs an embedded program in the BIOS. this is a DOS type file and unfortunately DOS cannot read an NTFS HDD, so thats why you have FAT32.

northend boy 20:45 21 Feb 06

What acer also do is to split the harddrive down the middle, equal space that is. So If you need to use ntfs, say for video editing, you can create the larger files in NTFS on the D partition.

Convert D to NTFS if you want to, but leave C as fat32. Or you may not be able to reset it to factory settings.

Dipso 21:12 21 Feb 06

..."it´s the best thing to do to suit the needs of our customers" apparently ;)

click here
click here

phil46 21:46 21 Feb 06

That's odd i have an Aspire 300 what happened to Erecovery? yes when you do a full recovery you get starting W98 Norton Ghost will appear the PC will recover and convert to NTFS on boot.

I recovered my drive to one partition but paid the price lost Erecovery after format and had to use the rcovery disk had to reload windows via a USB floppy drive as i could not get the computer to reboot with first boot CD.

myfoot 23:30 21 Feb 06

Well I've reinstalled a few months ago and the layout of the HD has changed. Can't remember exactly what it was but I think there were two partitions and now I've just the one. The reinstall went really well after about 3 restarts when I realised that while the cursor was sitting there blinking looking useless with no noticible disk activity that something was actually happening and after letting it sit there for 20 minutes the screen eventually reported progress.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…