acer admin problem

craigtonia 14:21 10 May 08

i have an acer travelmate 4150, i was given it about a week ago, the bios has a password an under the current user, there are not sufficient admin rights to re-install win xp, it is an old company laptop that it seems was setup for the companys domain, i can change all the settings so it works on my home network, but if i restart, all settings are lost, i want to reinstall win xp an configure it for my network, but am encountering many problems, like i dont have admin rights, etc, any help would be fantastic!

Ditch999 14:53 10 May 08

Is it a BIOS password or is it a Windows password for the Administrator account you are talking about.

craigtonia 15:37 10 May 08

both the bios an windows are passworded depressingly, have flashed the bios with the most updated version

Ditch999 15:40 10 May 08

you will be lucky if the bios flashing works when it is password protected! Best thing to do would be remove the battery and mains and take out the CMOS battery to set it to factory defaults, then format and reinstall windows (as long as you have the serial/key for windows of course!).

Ditch999 15:57 10 May 08

From the manual
"Re-install bundled software without CD
Acer eRecovery stores pre-loaded software internally for easy driver and application re-installation.
1 Boot to Windows® XP.
2 Press <Alt>+<F10> to open the Acer eRecovery utility.
3 Enter the password to proceed. The default password is six zeros.
4 In the Acer eRecovery window, select Recovery actions and click Next.
5 In the Recovery settings window, select Reinstall applications/drivers and click Next.
6 Select the desired driver/application and follow the instructions on screen to re-install.
At first launch, Acer eRecovery prepares all the needed software and may take few seconds to bring up the software content window.
Change password:
Acer eRecovery and Acer disk-to-disk recovery are protected by a password that can be changed by the user. Follow the steps below to change the password in Acer eRecovery.
1 Boot to Windows® XP.
2 Press <Alt>+<F10> to open the Acer eRecovery utility.
3 Enter the password to proceed. The default password is six zeros.
4 In the Acer eRecovery window, select Recovery settings and click Next.
5 In the Recovery settings window, select Password: Change Acer eRecovery password and click Next.
6 Follow the instructions on screen to complete the process."

craigtonia 16:00 10 May 08

thnx, will give it a go now

craigtonia 16:04 10 May 08

i get a message "erecovery can only be operated by users with admin privileges only"

Ditch999 19:21 10 May 08

Just a thought. Whatever comes up in the log on box as the User name change it to Administrator. Leave the password box blank and hit return to log on. If this doesnt work try "password" as the password without the quotes. Long shot, but you never know!
BTW Too many wrong attempts and it may lock you out for a while!

craigtonia 20:13 10 May 08

i tried this an it didnt work, just cant seem to sus it out

Ditch999 17:51 11 May 08

Re the BIOS password. Did you try removing all power sources then seeing if you can take out the CMOS battery and depressing the power switch for 30 secs? It is possibly in a compartment on the bottom where the RAM is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…