Acer 5920 Laptop will not boot

anniesboy68 04 Feb 13

I'm looking at an Acer 5920 that will not boot up. I loaded Linux Mint on it some time ago. The symptoms are... start it up, then a few grating noises from the CD drive area, then it switches off, restarts and then more grating noises, and the remains on with no action and a blank scree. I have tried booting with the Mint disk, but to no avail. Any help on solving this would be appreciated. Could it be the BIOS perhaps. AB68

anniesboy68 04 Feb 13

Thanks for reply, have tried all those. The main problem is I have no screen display.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 04 Feb 13

disconnect HDD and dvd see if it boots to an error message

anniesboy68 04 Feb 13

OK, thanks all will look int AB68 light or memory light "winking" as it would normally do in booting up.

anniesboy68 04 Feb 13

Please ignore previous post Thanks all.

anniesboy68 04 Feb 13

I'm sure its something to do with the booting process as there is no flickering of the hdd indicator normally experienced when booting up. As I idicated earlier everything goes quite after the (I suppose) attempts to boot. Sounds like attempts access the CD drive (the grating noises I mentioned earlier)

Normal boot order would be DVD followed by HDD

No bootable CD and then faulty drive I would expect to see an error message of some sort.

Check BIOS and set boot order as above save and exit and rety using the mint CD.

anniesboy68 04 Feb 13

Hello fruitbat.I cannot do that as I have nothing on the screen whatsoever

Have you tried another bootable CD in it?

anniesboy68 05 Feb 13

Yes have tried two bootable Cds. Nothing is loading because when I swith off out goes all the lights immediately. I repeat, nothing is showing on the screen so there is nothing I can do. Perhaps give up and sell as faulty minjus the hard drive

anniesboy68 05 Feb 13

Sorry about the apparent spelling/letters missing'but Iam sending most posts using a tablet and the screen is very touch responsive and I am not quite used to it yet

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Wacom Cintiq 27QHD review

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message