Acer 5633 DVD Drive problems

Jake_027 12:15 03 Feb 07

I have this laptop and the drive was working fine when I got it. However I have loaded it up today and the drive is not showing up in explorer. There was a yellow exclamation mark in device manager which said there was a problem, so I uninstalled and reinstaled the windows driver and the problem still occured. I cannot see any drivers for it on the acer website, nor did it come with any on a disc.

Any ideas?

Jake

vinnyT 12:36 03 Feb 07

The drivers are mostly generic for dvd/cd drives and come as part of windows, so if the drive is not working after you reinstalled the windows driver, then it may be a hardware fault.

When you put a cd/dvd in the drive does it spin up, does the light on the drive flash at all?

trisha01 12:51 03 Feb 07

Did you try this Acer link:

click here

Jake_027 19:30 03 Feb 07

Sorry I didn't reply I was at work. I had a look on the site you mentioned as the 1st thing i did Trisha, but thanks anyway. VinnyT The drive opens and closes and the light flashes for the first few seconnds when you put a DVD or CD in, but it doesn't do anything and isn't showing up in Windows Explorer so it's not just autoplay. I'll try uninstalling and reinstaling drivers in device manager again with a restart, just realised I never did a restart last time. It has worked just last month-I burnt a CD on the 15th, but now its nowhere to be seen. In the meantime, any suggestions incase the driver reinstall doesn't work?

Thanks

Jake

Jake_027 22:13 03 Feb 07

Tried uninstalling, restarting then installing but still no luck. Any ideas?

Jake_027 22:47 03 Feb 07

Help Please?

Jake_027 13:13 04 Feb 07

Again :/

Jake_027 19:35 04 Feb 07

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

Is what device manager says, and I have run the troubleshooter to no avail. The DVD drive is detected in the BIOS though.

The drive is DVDRW SSM-8515S

Jake

skidzy 19:36 04 Feb 07

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic/Easy CD Creator etc.
And not showing the drive in My Computer.

First thing to try is to reinstall your burning software.
If no joy,follow the helplines below.

Try the below link ,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

click here

If no joy with the above fix,try the Microsoft Guided Help
click here scroll down to the Guided help download and follow the instructions.

If still no joy,follow the manual fix below.

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first.

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.

Jake_027 20:35 04 Feb 07

Thank You loads :D, the first fix didn't work but the manual one did. I'm now able to see it and play DVD's, although I haven't tried burning yet. Thanks ever so much, this beats Acer E-mail support by miles!

Jake

skidzy 20:40 04 Feb 07

No probs Jake,best of luck burning :-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant