Acer 5535 Laptop Intermittent Boot

Dumfy 18:06 10 Aug 13

Hi All,

I posted this back in April and the thread was then locked as I thought it resolved. However, my friend has asked me to wipe this laptop and re-install Windows off the recovery partition - which I've done. Now the original problem is back . . .

Intermittent boot - no BIOS beeps, no BIOS splash screen as if LCD panel is dead. All else appears to be working. HDD spinning up, optical drive kicking in. Have connected to TV and still no output. Also removed HDD and plugged it into my PC. Works fine and everything is there.

Using the manual I downloaded previously, have taken this laptop apart - down to bare bones. Fitted a new CMOS battery as it was low. Re-built and the problem still there. Only just now has the laptop succuessfully booted.

Is there a way to test the on-board graphics chip? I did suspect it blown as with the previous fault, the thermal pad had worn through. I thought this may have damaged it. But it still does boot up - when it wants to.

Am running out of this to try now. When the laptop was disassembled, I found no obvious problems in terms of bad connections etc.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dumfy

Posted April 16, 2013 at 11:58AM

Hi All,

I'm trying to sort this laptop for a friend who thought it was dead in the water, but there is life it seems! It's running Vista.

Started off with the issue he had - wouldn't boot. No BIOS screen show as if screen was dead. However, lights would flash, HDD spin up and cooling fan on.

It does boot now, though intermittently having done the following . .

Removed CPU & GPU cooler/fan assembly. The thermal pad over the GPU had a hole in it. Have cleaned all residue away and used fresh thermal compound on both. Thought this could have blown the GPU but should be OK if it boots occasionally?

Removed both memory modules and booted - no BIOS beeps (?). Fitted one module at a time and got it to boot, so identified this module as possibly good. Unable to boot with the second module either on it's own or with the other module. Even with the possibly good module fitted on its own boot is still intermittent - mostly won't boot.

Have connected laptop to TV PC input in case of screen issues. Laptop detected by TV but no boot. If it were a screen prob with the laptop, would it not boot into Windows anyway and play the tune?

I guess I could have two faulty memory modules - one intermittent and the other dead. Is there a way of testing these? I have no other laptop available or spare modules - only a desktop.

I've downloaded a user manual that describes how to take everything apart so that's my next step to check for bad connections etc.

When the laptop boots up and I'm in, everything works well and there are no issues - screen stays on etc, which kind of clears a duff GPU after the broken thermal pad. I can leave it on for an hour and do a restart without problem. If after the hour I shutdown and do an immediate restart, it fails to boot. Frustrating!

Any other suggestions that I can try?

Thanks!

Read more: click here

Dumfy 18:40 10 Aug 13

Forgot to add - and just in case this helps . . .

The laptop can go in and out of Sleep Mode with no problem.

Hibernate or Shutdown/Restart the problem comes back.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…