acer 5320 laptop really really slow

ploppy1999 20:36 28 Aug 10

Hi,

I have an acer travelmate 5320 and for some reason it has started to crash quite often. When i turn it on it can take a good 5-10 minutes before i can open programs. When i do start to open them they take what seems an eternity to run. They then stop responding quite often. If i leave it and it drops into power saving mode (the screen goes black) and go to use it again it won't come back on and the only way to get it back working is to hold the power button down. I've tried running disc defragger, my avg full scan and spy-bot but nothing is working. Is there anything else i could do?

ploppy1999 20:37 28 Aug 10

sorry its an acer travelmate 5320

dessi 21:22 28 Aug 10

hi please can you try to download a free software named Malware Bytes this can be of help if there is any trojans spyware/malware lurking in there also if you are using IE 8 go to the word Safety at top right click on it and select delete temporary internet files also go to tools and do the same after selecting Internet options at the very bottom.also try Advance systen Care Free version you will have to Google them, hope one of them helps

mooly 08:03 29 Aug 10

As a last resort you can use Acers ERecovery utility already installed to do a full reset back to as new.

You will lose ALL data/progs/apps etc so back anything up first.

It's drastic but often the best and sometimes quickest way to resolve issues.

ploppy1999 09:00 29 Aug 10

the ways dessi advised has made a vast improvement, rather than taking a good 10 minutues before i can do anything it's now down to 2 or 3. From this only one problem has arisen, when using the advance system program it fixed a lot of things but it freezes up when doing the drefrag always at the same point spooler.xml when i try to do the same via control pannel again it freezes up.

mooly 18:48 29 Aug 10

You mean it freezes when running windows own defragmenter ?

Also you can try running from an elevated command prompt the system file checker,

click here

ploppy1999 14:05 31 Aug 10

thank you all for your ideas they have really helped speed things up. Mooly the command prompt thing worked however it found some that couldn't be repaired and as i'm not that computer literate i don't understand the instructions on that link on how to fix it. Like knowing where a good copy of a file is to replace it with.

wee eddie 14:44 31 Aug 10

are usually caused by the Energy Saving Software, it doesn't realise that the Lappy is working.

For the duration of the Defrag, turn "Off" all Energy Saving Features and Screen Savers.

wee eddie 14:50 31 Aug 10

click here

The free version will help you clear your machine of detritus, reduce the number of Programs opening at start-up, and prune some unnecessary bits from the Registry. When it offers to Back-up the registry ~ do so, but it's very conservative in its choices, so unlikely to cause a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac