Acer 5100

orientallady 13:17 06 Jul 10

hi all,

I have an acer aspire 5100, the laptop does not seem to recognise the dvd/cd, even in safe mode it isn't there. It was working up until now I installed a new printer at the beginning of June, although I have had this problem before and I am sure the acer helpline told me to download something but this time around all they do is keep on telling me to do a recovery which I don't want to have to do, especially if it is going to happen again. I found somewhere some advice telling someone to delete lower and upper filter which I have done but it made no difference.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

raziel08 13:50 06 Jul 10

sounds like the drive itself has failed, i had the same issue with mine within 2 weeks of buying it (mines a 5920G). Does it show in the BIOS.

When you get to the acer splash screen press F2 and you will be sent to the BIOS, then go to the boot screen and see if the drive is listed there. If it isn't then it has failed so either buy a new drive and install it or if its in warrenty send it to acer to fix.

orientallady 14:01 06 Jul 10

can I buy a new drive online

wee eddie 16:32 06 Jul 10

there are many things that are more likely.

Highest on the list of possibilities is that the drivers have become corrupted. Which is why Acer are recommending a Recovery.

If you do this, remember to back up "all" your files as, although Recovery should not delete anything ("Restore" does delete everything) there is always a risk of something going missing.

The best Back-up medium is an External Hard Drive.

The item they may have suggested you Download was "The latest Drivers" ~ "Restore" will have the original Drivers included and so, should solve whatever is causing the problem.

orientallady 17:26 06 Jul 10

by restore, do you mean system restore. It didn't work. I have run 'regedit' and the cd/dvd drive came up.

Thanks for replying.

wee eddie 19:26 06 Jul 10

Recovery or Restore ~ They are not necessarily one and the same thing.

Assuming that you followed Acer's instructions and it did not work, what did they recommend as the next thing to do?

orientallady 20:46 06 Jul 10

recovery is whenI press F10

system restore is say e.g. when your pc keeps crashing so you restore it to a point when hopefully it was ok. This is weird, I used to have a desktop where I could restore the pc to 6 months ago but this laptop doesn't seem to let me do that or if so, I don't know how you do it.

Recovery I have already done, because one time my laptop kept on freezing for no reason, there was no virus etc. so I recovered.

Wel, if recovery doesn't work, Acer didn't recomkend anything else.

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…