Accidental Unistall of a Card Reader - help please

spark79 19:31 28 Feb 07

I hope you can help me. I was having trouble installing a printer and called the technical support for PC world. I was told to go onto Device Manager and to Uninstall everything under the USB heading. (Clearly very bad advice!)

My built in card reader will now no longer work.(When I put in a media card nothing happens.)
When I go to Device manager now at the bottom is "USB2.0-CRW" (the media card reader) with an exclamation mark next to it. When I click on properties it says
"Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)

To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again.

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."
Obviously I cannot unplug the card reader as it is built in.
Checking for solutions has no effect.

I do not want this to be removed from my PC and would appreciate any help you can give me to get it working again.

I have tried restoring my system to an earlier point but this failed.

I really wish I hadn't listened to PC Performance's advice!

Thanks

woodchip 19:47 28 Feb 07

Try running System Restore

jack 19:47 28 Feb 07

1. Try a System Restore
[Start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore]
Go back to prior to the removal
see what happens come back

I am Spartacus 19:59 28 Feb 07

You could try shutting down, switching off, remove side of case, unplug card reader connector, reboot, switch off again and plug card reader connector back in again.

I am Spartacus 20:00 28 Feb 07

spark79 said that system restore has been tried and it failed.

woodchip 20:12 28 Feb 07

Do you have drivers on another Partition or on a CD these will be Motherboard Drivers

terryf 20:17 28 Feb 07

Do you know the make of the card reader? click here and download and run Belarc. Let us know what it says about card reader and we might be able to point you to the drivers.

woodchip 20:21 28 Feb 07

Built in

I am Spartacus 20:22 28 Feb 07

Are you using XP with SP2? Full support is provided for USB2 in that release and no drivers should be required.

woodchip 20:33 28 Feb 07

Strange, All card readers I come across are plugged into Mobo Headers from front. So it should have a name on the Card Reader

woodchip 20:33 28 Feb 07

What it the Computer and Model?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009