Accidental system file deletion=Hardrive problem

ed t 16:49 18 Jul 08

Hi there,

My Sony laptop harddrive has stopped working because I think I mistakenly deleted a system file on my C Drive.

When I turn on my laptop the initial Sony symbol just pops up continually, and it doesn't proceed to the Windows login.

How can I correct this? and get my laptop to work properly!

thanks in advance for help.

ed

woodchip 16:58 18 Jul 08

Deleting files should not stop a Drive Working, however that said, is the Laptop a new Laptop with a Sata Hard Drive????? as you may have deleted drivers for Sata

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:03 18 Jul 08

Do you have a windows CD for your ops system?
Vista or XP?

ed t 17:13 18 Jul 08

Woodchip - Not sure if its a SATA drive, but my laptop is a Sony Vaio & 1 yr old.

The files I deleted were outside any folders on my C Drive. I can't remember what they were - i guess they may have been drivers.

Fruit Bat - nope i dont have a windows CD for my laptop.

I have connected my hardrive to another computer, and for some reason i can only access 'My Shared Docs' and not 'My Documents' (which is where all my important info is stored). Help!

Pamy 17:17 18 Jul 08

What is your operating system XP pro Me etc. if one of them try "Restore" ti an earlier date

ed t 17:20 18 Jul 08

Pamy - my operating system is XP. The problem is i cannot even access my windows login - so i can't see how i can 'restore' to an earlier date.

Right now I can only access my BIOS settings.

Pamy 17:23 18 Jul 08

Do you have a "Recovery disc" suplied with the computer when bought or made by touself soon after purchase

ed t 17:26 18 Jul 08

Pamy - unfortunately not. Is there anything I can download that would help?

Pamy 17:28 18 Jul 08

You can get a boot disc, but it may not help

Pamy 17:30 18 Jul 08
  Sea Urchin 17:31 18 Jul 08

Have you tried accessing the recovery program on the hidden partition? Tap F10 whilst booting. Or recovery discs/downloads available from

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…