Accessories,System Tools Disk Cleanup not working

geedad 09:06 18 Feb 08

Windows XP Sp2

Using Accessories,System Tools then Disk Cleanup appears to be not working correctly.
When I repeat the clean up operation immediately afterwards, I am left with the same amount (70,000KB)of disk space to gain - in other words, no clean up seams to have taken place!
I have also used CC Cleaner to see if that would help, but that makes no difference to the Disk Cleanup result.
The ticked boxes are all clean except "Compress old files", where the 70,000KB resides.
Anyone experienced this problem, and if so, how have you solved it, please.
One other thing, I did close the PC down, then restarted it to see if that would help, but it did not.
geedad

Gongoozler 10:12 18 Feb 08

Try Ccleaner, this does a really good job of sweeping out the old rubbish and it tells you in advance how much space you will save. click here

sunny staines 10:26 18 Feb 08

free programs that are better

ccleaner as gongoozler says

iobit advanced windows cleaner

glary utilities

the last 2 have a lot of extras as well.

geedad 11:44 18 Feb 08

Gongoozler.
Thanks, but I HAVE used CCLEANER!
sunny staines
Will try the other ones you suggested.
geedad

Gongoozler 12:04 18 Feb 08

Sorry geedad. I'm guilty of not reading your posting properly (put it down to old age). I ran Disk Cleanup to see how it did on my PC, and found that after running it, it still claimed that it could save me more space by compressing files. With hard drives these days being so cheap, I don't think its worth worrying about the few Kb that Disk Cleanup claims to be able to save.

geedad 15:10 18 Feb 08

Gongoozler
OK, Gongoozler!
I suffer from the same age problem!
However,
looking at it again, you are right. The compressed files cannot, of course, be deleted. But I suppose MS should have put this compresser somewhere else.It was confusing,when, at first glance, it seemed as if these were junk files, when in fact, they are useful files that a just compressed.
Nevertheless, my thanks to you, and sunny staines for your kind responses.The Glary Utilities download was superb!
geedad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now