Accessing XP's user accounts from another disk

ade.h 15:33 08 Nov 03

I have recently suffered a boot failure on my main HDD, and I am now using what was my slave disk (which already had XP installed, as this is not the first disk failure I've had). Although I regularly copied my files to the slave, I still have a few files that were written in the week since the last backup and it's these I want to retrieve.

Trouble is, I can find no way of accessing my folders on the failed disk, due to having file sharing disabled in my original account. I had no choice but to keep my folders private, as they hold personal financial data regarding business clients.

Does anybody know how I can disable the privacy settings while viewing the old disk as a slave, maybe via regedit, or is it possible to repair the boot sector so that it's directly accessible again?

ade.h 15:57 08 Nov 03

Thanks for the response; I am using XP Home, not Pro. Booting in Safe Mode is not possible as the disk in question is no longer bootable due to a critical boot failure; I am accessing it from my backup disk, which is now the master. Would your 2nd suggestion still allow access, and if so, how?

ade.h 18:53 08 Nov 03

I've since managed to figure out what you were getting at by logging in as Administrator and looking at the disk properties. I guess you meant the Sharing & Security options on the po-up menu. I found the ownership option you mentioned and got full access back! Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…