Accessing XP windows drive in Windows 7

Spock999 29 Jun 11

From a system failure, I have an XP drive with information I want to extract. It is the Windows drive but Windows 7 (Home premium) won't allow me to access the files I need as I don't have the correct permissions.

Could anyone advise me how to get round this given that the XP system is dead.

Thanks.

gengiscant 29 Jun 11

This may help, allow

Zeppelyn 29 Jun 11

You need to take ownership of the folders you need, either from the security tab in Properties or an easier way is to add Take Ownership to your right click menu. link text

Spock999 30 Jun 11

Thanks.

I have managed to xfer most of my windows information. There are still one or two gaps but I am not sure whether they are significant. I have yet to try to process to recover what I need.

It was complicated by some sort of corruption on the disc. I am not sure whether that was the cause of the failure or one of the consequences. IT is something I want to investigate later.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

Found Studio reveals the making of the Unleashed, Uncut Peugeot 208 viral

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message