Accessing Windows XP Admin User Files/Folders

webber_man 17:03 12 Oct 03

Hi,

I have recently bought a laptop running XP and, before i set myself up with a user name giving me 'admin' status and privilages used the default Admin user already set up. I used this to save some files but since setting myself up as an Admin i can't find those files i saved as an 'admin'. Does anyone know where they'll be or how i can find/access them?

Thanks

mark e 17:09 12 Oct 03

Push & hold windows key and press f key then search for them by name or extension

recap 17:09 12 Oct 03

To gain access to this account (once you have found it) you will need the correct user name and password. As this is the default Admin account I do not think you will have these as these would have been set by Microsoft. For your future reference it would be better to just change the default Admin Accounts name.

webber_man 17:15 12 Oct 03

...when i first started up the laptop the user name Admin appeared and asked for a passowrd which i entered and set. I then copied some files from my desktop. Reading through the booklet it suggested i set up a new 'Admin' account for myself as soon as possible for security reasons. I then did this but when i re-booted i no longer had the option to log on as the Admin user that i first had - just the new user name i had set up. Now, for some reason, the files i saved first off i can't find.

spikeychris 17:22 12 Oct 03

Once you have created regular user accounts, the default Administrator account vanishes from the Welcome screen, which you see when the computer starts up. Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete twice at the Welcome screen to retrieve the standard logon dialog. You can log on as Administrator from here.

Chris

webber_man 18:55 12 Oct 03

Cheers Spikey Chris - that's exactly what i needed to know.

Good work fella - appreciated!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…