Accessing Printer Connected to Another Computer

RegScriv 09:33 23 Nov 13

I have a Windows 7 pc & my wife has a Windows 8 pc, both are connected to a BT Home hub via ethernet cables. They are not networked together & I'm not too sure how to do that. Our printer is connected to my Windows 7 pc but I'd like my wife to have access to it. Can she access the printer via the BT Home hub if I set up a network between the two pcs.

HenryF75 09:43 23 Nov 13

The short answer is to set up a network and in your printer properties set the device to sharing. Just exactly how you do this depends on how your computers are set up, but there is plenty of detailed instructions if you google your problem.

Jollyjohn 10:42 23 Nov 13

Yes.

Right click on your printer - in control panel- and SHARE it - OK.

With printer on go to W8 PC and add a printer, select network printer and W8 should find the printer on the network.

RegScriv 14:00 23 Nov 13

Hi Jollyjohn. Right clicking the printer on my pc, which is Windows 7, does not give a "Share it" option. Printer properties doesn't seem to offer a share option either. I've tried unsuccessfully to set up a Home Group with my wife's pc. My wife's Windows 8 pc provides a password for setting up a Home Group, but when I enter this into the box on my pc it doesn't work. I've tried the troubleshooting option with no success.

Woolwell 14:07 23 Nov 13

In Devices and Printers right click on your printer and select Printer Properties then use the sharing tab.

Woolwell 14:07 23 Nov 13

Briefly turn off your firewalls whilst setting up the network and see if that works.

Jollyjohn 14:36 23 Nov 13

Yes it is Printer Properties you need not Properties! Just checked on my W7 box.

RegScriv 10:45 24 Nov 13

Ok,found the Printer Properties & the sharing check box it ticked, but I can't see this printer on the W8 pc. Do I need to have the two pcs networked before the printer can be shared.

Jollyjohn 11:06 24 Nov 13

Right click on your connection icon, usually in bottom right, and open Network and sharing centre.

Click on Change advanced sharing options.

Check Network discovery is on and File and printer sharing is on

You may need to do this on the W8 pc as well.

hastelloy 11:08 24 Nov 13

Does your printer have an ethernet port? If it does you should be able to print from either PC through the router even if the other PC is switched off.

RegScriv 11:15 24 Nov 13

I can now see the W8 pc from the W7 pc but the W8 pc cannot see the W7 pc nor the printer. The printer is a Canon iP4700 & doesn't have an ethernet port.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant