Accessing the Internet wirelessly through my PC

Severn Bore 20:43 03 Nov 06

Hi
I am on Wanadoo (now Orange) broadband installed on a wireless enabled PC. Provided my PC is connected I can access the Internet wirelessly (without a router) using my wireless enabled laptop and a USB wireless adapter on my brother's laptop.
However, I cannot access the Internet in the same way using his PC Internet connection. He has only recently signed up to Orange Broadband.
Any idea why my PC allows access, but his does not?
Thanks for any advice you can give.

mgmcc 20:52 03 Nov 06

It sounds as though you have enabled "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual internet connection (modem connection) in your PC, but your brother hasn't done the same in his. I assume you and your brother have broadband connections at different locations?

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

When you enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the network adapter used for your "private network connection" with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. If you have more than one adapter available for this purpose, e.g. both a "Local Area Connection" and a "Wireless Network Connection", you will have a drop down list from which to select the appropriate adapter. The "Client" PC's Wireless Network Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "Host" PC. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your "Host" PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or "ICS" traffic will be blocked.

Severn Bore 21:44 03 Nov 06

Hi
It looks like this is the answer. I actually tried to do this, but for some reason the only network shown was a Local Area Connection. There was no drop down for the Wireless Connection. I wonder whether this is because either the USB adaptor was not inserted or because the wireless adapter is not permanent?

mgmcc 08:28 04 Nov 06

If your brother is using a USB wireless adapter in *HIS* PC with the internet connection, the "Wireless Network Connection" will only be present while the USB adapter is plugged in. Hence, you won't have the option to select it when setting up Internet Connection Sharing unless it is present.

Severn Bore 10:07 04 Nov 06

Hi
I think this will now resolve the problem. Many thanks for your help.

Severn Bore 17:00 04 Nov 06

Hi
I have followed all of the guidance supplied by helpful forum members - for which, thanks - but just cannot get the host PC to recognise the Wireless adaptor to enable Internet sharing. It has no problem setting up the wireless connection between it and laptop, but then fails to "see" that there is a wireless connection in the sInternet sharing setup!
Any other ideas out there please?

mgmcc 18:05 04 Nov 06

In your brother's PC, the one connected by modem to the ISP, can he open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all networking adapters installed in the PC. Right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here.

mgmcc 18:07 04 Nov 06

I should have said - with the Wireless Network Adapter plugged in!

Severn Bore 18:48 04 Nov 06

Yes. His is the PC connected to the net. I will try opening the command prompt (he is PC illiterate!) in the next few days, as he lives some distance from me. Will post again when I have done so. Meanwhile thanks for your continuing help.
Regards
severn Bore

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced