accessing internet with no phone line?

alt 17:21 13 Aug 03

Hi, I know that this is probably a stupid question but is it possible to use a computer to access the internet in a place with no phone line. IE a caravan. I will be staying a month in a caravan park and want to take my computer tower with me. However I may end up living permannently in this caravan and they are not allowed to have a phone line for some reason so is there another way to access the internet without one, I am running Win.xp. home ....Thanks in advance.....Val

wiznyme 17:23 13 Aug 03

It can be done but unless you've got someone nearby who'd let you share their wi-fi connection it's very expensive.

You'd have to connect via mobile phone or Satellite.

Southernboy 17:24 13 Aug 03

access the internet on a laptop through a mobile phone.

alt 17:28 13 Aug 03

Hi Guys, Thanks for your answers, but what is a wi-fi connection?....and what is a nice cheap rate? is it so much a minute? I would need about 2 hours per day.....Val

wiznyme 17:34 13 Aug 03

If someone close by (approx 100ft) has an internet connection and is prepaired to share it you would have to install an transmitter on both systems that allows you to share the connection over a radio signal.

There are 2 main standards just now 802.11b with 11mb/sec or 802.11g with 54mb/ sec.

alt 18:18 13 Aug 03

Thank you so much everybody for all your help.....Val

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…