Accessing internet via Laptop

sarah-280539 19:48 02 Jun 03

My brother-in-law has just bought a laptop and is new to the internet so he's unsure about what sort of isp he should have. He works away, but when he's home could he plug it into my ntl broadband or will that not work because my computer is the one that's been set up to use it. I'd be grateful if any could point me in the right direction as to where I'd find out more information.

Thanks

Hi Sarah,

I think I would be right in saying that the NTL connection that you have will require that you register a MAC address for any computer to connect to it and they (NTL) may not like that.

The way around it is to set up your PC and his as a network and to share the internet connection that way, Your PC will in effect be acting as a gateway to the NTL COnnection and therefore you will be using your own MAC address.

Post back with details of your PC (Does it have lan connections/does his laptop?) and also what operating system you have. we will see what we can do.

Granger 21:45 02 Jun 03

Worked for me - I have an old WinMe laptop that I can't be bothered to network, so I just ran the BT broadband setup disk on that as well. Works fine, but of course its just one computer connected or the other.

jazzypop 21:54 02 Jun 03

It is certainly possible (now) to have two separate PCs connected to NTL's broadband service, and swap them over as and when required.

However, the procedure is a little complex, and will probably be too daunting for a 'Web newbie' like your brother-in-law.

Therefore I agree with Smiffy99 that it will be simpler to set up a network, so that you can both connect quite easily.

See click here for a good guide to networking with NTL

wee eddie 21:55 02 Jun 03

sarah_2277, more or less knows that he can use her Broadband connection when he is with her. All he needs, is a network card.

Her main question is! I think

What ISP and Type of Account does he need while he is working away?

jazzypop 22:04 02 Jun 03

The question I tried to answer was "but when he's home could he plug it into my ntl broadband or will that not work because my computer is the one that's been set up to use it."

There may well be a question about other ISPs and account types, but I can't see it in the original post :)

I'm sure sarah_2277 will clarify the question if required

sarah-280539 10:24 03 Jun 03

I'm sorry I didn't explain myself very clearly, I think my only excuse is tiredness, lol! What I meant to say was he works away for 3 weeks out of 4, and when he is home he lives with his Dad who has a pc and the ntl 56k modem telephone connection package. Therefore is it possible for him to unplug his dad's pc and plug his laptop in to use when he's at home? Also does anyone know of what sort of isp he should use when he's away, therefore he's plugging it into a phone line somewhere? Hope that's a bit better, thanks for all the posts.

IanNiblock 10:32 03 Jun 03

I found that the best isp for a laptop is BTOpenworld. Most ISP's require that you specify the phone number that you will be dialling in from when you sign up, this means that you cannot use your account from more than one location. I believe that BT do not ask for this information so you can dial in from anywhere (as long as it is a BT line)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…