Accessing and editing Master Boot Record

Michael-262348 02:07 20 May 05

How can I access the Master Boot Record and edit it? On booting up my Windows 98 SE system, when it goes to the black screen I get at the top “MBR Error 3” and on the line below that it says "Starting Windows 98”. Then my Desktop opens in the normal way.

This seems to have happened after I restored an image of my D: drive which I had made using Acronis True Image 8. I have two hard drives, each partitioned into two (Drives C:, D:, E:, and F:). I then found that I had managed to make drive D: “Active” (while C: was also Active), even though FDISK tells me that only partitions on Drive 1 can be made Active and that only one drive can be Active at a time. I’ve managed to correct this since.

Diodorus Siculus 08:04 20 May 05

To fix a copy of the master boot record you will need a Windows boot disk containing a copy of fdisk. Restart the computer using the boot disk, at the DOS prompt type fdisk /mbr, this will restore a copy of the master boot record.

To edit: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…