Accessing drive from home location

ukbahaiguy 08:59 02 Feb 11

Dear All,

I have a basic office workgroup and we all share an external raid drive (Buffalo link station) we all use win xp.

my sister who works with us has just had a baby and wants to work from home. She would need access to this raid drive from her home.

how would i achieve this ? Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

birdface 10:12 02 Feb 11

My daughter can access her works computer from home or vice versa so no doubt it can be done.
Not sure if it is the same thing that you want to do or not.
No doubt someone will be able to help you with your problem.

ukbahaiguy 10:22 02 Feb 11

Thanks Buteman fingers crossed

ukbahaiguy 14:48 08 Feb 11

bump to top

GaT7 15:28 08 Feb 11

There are paid-for solutions that'll achieve what you need, but first try the built-in Remote Desktop in XP that may be good enough for your sister's needs - click here or click here for setup instructions. G

Ian in Northampton 15:40 08 Feb 11

I rate GoToMyPC very highly, and a free version is available (with the paid-for version, you can do file transfers and so on). Assuming that the RAID drive is attached to the target PC just like any other hard drive, it should work fine. When my work stopped me using GoToMyPC, I switched to LogMeIn - again, it's free, but it's very clunky next to GoToMyPC.

ukbahaiguy 13:48 17 Feb 11

hello thanks for the help however it is not working well.

I have a buffalo linkstation shared network drive that we all at the office access.

I have mislaid the disc that came with it however we can access it no problem.

is there a way for my sister to acess this drive from her home computer ?

GaT7 13:52 17 Feb 11

'is there a way for my sister to acess this drive from her home computer ?'

Did you even try the Remote Desktop & GoToMyPC suggestions?

'I have mislaid the disc that came with it however we can access it no problem.'

What does the disc have to do with it? G

ukbahaiguy 15:43 18 Feb 11

yes my previous post does state that I have tried both methods but they are unsuitable.

The reason why I mention the disc that came with my buffalo drive is that if i remember there was a way to access this drive via a web interface but im sure the information was on the disc.

Hope that clears things up

I look forward to receiving some constructive help.

Kind Regards

Ashrich 22:54 18 Feb 11

I would recommend Hamachi by LogMeIn , use the free version on both the office server , create a network name ( assuming you have the correct files shared ) and then run it on your sister's PC and join the network you created , right click on the " server " and select "browse" and you'll have access to all the shared files .

Ashley

BRYNIT 23:13 18 Feb 11

This is a link to the Buffalo web site click here you might be able to download the manual and any drivers needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac