Access to WinXP 'Help' query

Demora 10:09 22 Jan 09

Hi.

I don't use the Windows help and support very often but this morning I needed to check something out and when I clicked 'Help & Support' on the start menu. Nothing.

I've read a solution somewhere but I can't find it.

Any pointers as to how I can get this working again?

TIA

Demora

MAJ 10:16 22 Jan 09

Start > Run, type in:

services.msc

and click OK. See if the Help and Support service is running, if not, then start it. Reboot the PC, see if it has returned.

Demora 10:44 22 Jan 09

Hi MAJ Just tried that. the service was set to'automatic' so I did a re-start then restarted the pc......no change.

I have no idea when this started because help and support isn't something I use very often.

D

birdface 11:00 22 Jan 09

This from another Forum.
Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not running.

To fix this problem, start the service named 'Help and Support'.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

This issue is currently under investigation, however if you are currently experiencing this issue you can run the following commands to resolve the issue:

1. Open a command prompt.
2. Navigate to %windir%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries
3. Run this command:

start /w helpsvc /svchost netsvcs /regserver /install
4. Once this command completes the Help and Support service should now appear in services.msc
5. Start the Help and Support service

MAJ 11:04 22 Jan 09

Or if you go to that folder (it might be a hidden folder) C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries double-click on the Helpctr.exe file, see if the Help Centre opens. If not, or the file isn't there, run SFC /SCANNOW.

provider 2 11:04 22 Jan 09

It might be an idea to check your firewall. I`ve just installed the latest version of Comodo and it came up with three warnings and requests to proceed or not when I clicked Help & Support.

brundle 11:34 22 Jan 09
  Demora 16:44 22 Jan 09

I have done all the suggestions. Nothing is happening.

But I'm getting messages that ask me to install from d:\ windows xp SERVICE pack 3. My cd for xp is service pack 2 and although I installed sp3 from an update I can't remove it. Message reads a file is missing. But it doesn't say which file.

\i checked the firewall settings too (PCTools internet security) nothing seems to be wrong there.

I would have used system restore to before I installed sp3 but that was last November and am afraid to say, they're gone. Backups from that far back have been cleaned up.

As everything was running smoothly back then I hadn't saved the registry backup I made When I installed sp3.

D

Demora 12:53 23 Jan 09

Well I'm still stumped by this one. I even thought I'd reinstall windows

Not going to happen because I can't get rid of sp3.

Its not essential I hjave help and support working, BUT its there and it should work.

Having said all the above I went to check a laptop thats also got sp3 on and thats all fine.

Any ideas before I have to totally nuke the hdd? Please. (I did threaten the pc with a trip to the bottom of the garden pond....if it wasn't going to behave)

TIA

D

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:33 23 Jan 09

Help and Support Problems
click here
click here

Demora 17:01 24 Jan 09

Thank you everyone that has posted to this thread.

I have fixed the problem, having tried everything I could think of.

In the end things were so bad I just re-installed windows over itself.

Now to fixing the soundcard drivers.

Thanks again.

D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced