Access security on Windows 2000

MalcSP 11:55 05 Feb 03

The server is running Windows 2000 with a proxy server. The PCs connected to it are on a LAN but access can be obtained using a dial-in line. This line is also available to a support company for their software using PC Anywhere. PC Anywhere is on standby all the time. I am concerned that access to our records is way too easy, especially as some items are commercially sensitive. This is not to mention the vulnerabilty to sabotage. In the interests of KISS what is the minimum that can be done but which will provide good safeguards?

AndySD 12:46 05 Feb 03

Are you using a VPN (virtual private network)click here fo a bit of a description

click here;en-us;Q300434&sd=tech but its not that simple..

But you may be better to go to your support provider and get them to advise you on this.

AndySD 12:48 05 Feb 03

Heres the second link click here

MalcSP 14:12 05 Feb 03

Thanks, I have read the two sites and can see how Some security can be introduced, albeit of the password variety. i'll leave this open a little longer to see if there is anything else.

AndySD 15:47 05 Feb 03

You can get the Remote Access server to Dial Back if needed..... eg the Remote user logs on. The system will then disconnect and dials back to that user on a set phone number. But that means the company picks up the tab for the phone call. Not a lot of use if the remote users are trying to connect from anywhere on the move.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…