Access Query

Mr Confused 21:41 15 Oct 03

I'm not sure that I've come to the right place necesarily, but I am unsure of how to create something by using MS Access. Basically what I need to do is create some sort of calendar, so that I record appointments for customers. Can someone please tell me if this is possible- and give me a step in the right direction?

VoG II 21:44 15 Oct 03

If you have Access then presumably you have Office. Wouldn't it make sense to create appointments using Outlook which is designed for this sort of thing?

wee eddie 21:53 15 Oct 03

However, I always have an however.

Excel would be neat.

Days/Dates across the top.

Time divisions on the vertical by the minute or hour.

The joy of Excel is that once you have created the first couple of days. you can drag across the top and consecutive days/dates will be created.

Mr Confused 21:53 15 Oct 03

I need to hold records about customers though as well and I want to make this system more user friendly by having the information all in one place, than use separate programs to do separate aspects.

VoG II 22:01 15 Oct 03

Is this the sort of thing you are lookinf for click here ?

we eddiew's idea is good too. You could have the contact details on one sheet and appointments on another. You could use Lookup functions to exchange information between the two sheets.

If you are determined to use Access then go to click here, Message Board, Microsoft Access.

skeletal 22:33 15 Oct 03

IMHO Access is the most powerful package within MS Office. If you have enough time and patience it can do almost anything! If you want to hold information about customers it is, ultimately, the package to use.

BUT and it's a big but, it is also the hardest to "get into". In all the other Office apps you can play with a few keys and something will sort of happen that you may make sense of. This is not really true with Access, you need to know what you are doing before you start.

Serif have recently sent me an offer for a "learn Access" CD for £10 +p&p which looks just the thing to get someone started (I don't have it as I am farily well into Access now, but I suggest it is cheap enough to try). I can't post the link as it is "private" to me. You could try ringing them on 0800 376 7070 and asking (it is not on their web site). They are famous for "special offers" that come and go and this one may have gone, but they are also open to negotiations!

You could also try many books on the subject. One good one is "Successful ICT Projects in Access by P.M.Heathcote: Payne-Gallway Publishers". About £10. It is for A level students and thus offers an easy to understand starting point.

At the other end of the scale are book sets with 1500 pages per book (two parts) at about £60/book. Reference to these still didn't sort out a problem I had once. Believe me Access is HUGE! But, you will be pleased to know that you can do simple stuff fairly easily...once you know where to start!

Skeletal

AccessMoron 17:33 19 Oct 03

Access will do what you want. You will need a table of customers, then a table of appointments.
link the table of customers to the appointments table by a one to many link (One customer may have Many appointments.)

In the appointment table you will need a field set to date/time with a format of General Date.

If you require to record more than one apointment for a specific time (more than one sales man) then you will need another table showing salesmen, which iss again linked to the appointment table with a one to many key.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…